What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Owners)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Asus did send the 467 as a fix for someone with a specific error (Qos, Radios)
So it's not officially posted as public beta, but a newer build ...
Use at own risk, but is't working better than 311 although it sometimes restarts out of the blue... (happened once).
Ive been on 467 since it was first posted. I have had zero issues. I havent even rebooted the router since upgrading to 467. I did a factory wipe then uploaded settings.

I certainly hope you change your mind on supporting AiMesh. If only to stay relevant as the tech evolves.

It's not a matter of whether I want or not, it's a matter of whether I can or not.

I'm getting a replacement RT-5300 sent my way Tuesday after my original kicked the bucket. Was thinking about going this route but was a little apprehensive after reading here.

Is it true Merlin never plans to adopt this router? If so that definitely solidifies my decision. I dunno how I'd go without fq_codel in regards to gaming.
I think you made a wise choice with getting another RT 5300. This GT 5300 has been a nightmare for me. I would not currently recommend this router to anyone that games casual or more competitive. Mine seems to be riddled with issues. What do you like about fq_codel in regards for gaming? Is it to help with buffering? Thanks!

I think you made a wise choice with getting another RT 5300. This GT 5300 has been a nightmare for me. I would not currently recommend this router to anyone that games casual or more competitive. Mine seems to be riddled with issues. What do you like about fq_codel in regards for gaming? Is it to help with buffering? Thanks!
I actually ended up going with the AC86U due to the GPU. I've heard mixed things about the GT for sure I'll let you know how the 86 turns out.

It's not a matter of whether I want or not, it's a matter of whether I can or not.
Ha ha Merlin ive always wondered why you seemed to avoid this router like the plague.. But now I'm understanding this a bit better.. Ive been meaning to ask you this exact question many times but didn't in fear you have been likely asked a thousand times before me..

Ha ha Merlin ive always wondered why you seemed to avoid this router like the plague.. But now I'm understanding this a bit better.. Ive been meaning to ask you this exact question many times but didn't in fear you have been likely asked a thousand times before me..

My answer was related to AiMesh, not the GT-AC5300.

Lack of support for the GT-AC5300 is because of the amount of required work that would be unique to this specific model, and also because of infrequent GPL releases, meaning that half of the time I wouldn't even be able to compile a firmware release for it.

This GT 5300 has been a nightmare for me. I would not currently recommend this router to anyone that games casual or more competitive. Mine seems to be riddled with issues.
Why not get a Linksys EA9500v2 instead? It more or less has the same hardware as the GT 5300 but without the bugs. I've been using mine for a while now, and very happy with it. On the downside the Linksys firmware isn't as feature rich as Asus though you may be able to get LEDE firmware installed on the Linksys.

My answer was related to AiMesh, not the GT-AC5300.

Lack of support for the GT-AC5300 is because of the amount of required work that would be unique to this specific model, and also because of infrequent GPL releases, meaning that half of the time I wouldn't even be able to compile a firmware release for it.
If I could successfully compile, this code base, would be happy to port some features from merlin

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T677A using Tapatalk

If I could successfully compile, this code base, would be happy to port some features from merlin

If you're willing to start a fork, you're more than welcome to it.

Technically, there shouldn't be any particular obstacle to supporting the GT-AC5300, except that its GPL releases aren't always in sync with those that I use. It means you might have to do your own GPL merges at your own pace (when Asus releases new GPLs for the GT-AC5300), then porting my own code changes on top of your fork.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T677A using Tapatalk

I'd certainly be willing to contribute to this cause.

I have my Asus GT-AC5300 that's setup using Asus DDNS to connect to my router remotely from the internet - works fine.

Can I piggy back off this connection to get to my Synology NAS (I have two) over https? I know I can by simply copying and pasting the Asus DDNS link and modifying the end of it to point to the port that my Synology is using. I then port forward the latter port to the internal IP of each NAS. This works but the connection is not secure because I need SSL certificates. I guess I'm confused about this part though. And, what DDNS entry would I put into each nas for the Asus DDNS or can I do this? Need some help/advise on setting this up securely/properly.

Currently, each one of my Synology's are using their own DDNS but I'm obviously not using their DDNS if I use the entry from my ASUS router and I'm okay with that. But, does this mean that I should put the Asus DDNS values into each one of my Synology NAS'. And how do I secure them with SSL - am I using the SSL certificate of my Asus? Not a pro with this so need help, thanks.

I have my Asus GT-AC5300 that's setup using Asus DDNS to connect to my router remotely from the internet - works fine.

Can I piggy back off this connection to get to my Synology NAS (I have two) over https? I know I can by simply copying and pasting the Asus DDNS link and modifying the end of it to point to the port that my Synology is using. I then port forward the latter port to the internal IP of each NAS. This works but the connection is not secure because I need SSL certificates. I guess I'm confused about this part though. And, what DDNS entry would I put into each nas for the Asus DDNS or can I do this? Need some help/advise on setting this up securely/properly.

Currently, each one of my Synology's are using their own DDNS but I'm obviously not using their DDNS if I use the entry from my ASUS router and I'm okay with that. But, does this mean that I should put the Asus DDNS values into each one of my Synology NAS'. And how do I secure them with SSL - am I using the SSL certificate of my Asus? Not a pro with this so need help, thanks.

The SSL cert of the DDNS from Asus won't SSL encrypt your connection to your Synology NAS. You can get a free cert from Let's Encrypt, but you have to renew it every 90-days and you would have to install the renewed cert every time. With that said, you may be able to export the let's encrypt cert from your Asus Router and install it on the Synology NAS devices and try using the Asus DDNS to access them. If that works, then your router would renew the cert automatically, you would just need to (every 90-days or so) export the cert and install it on the Synology NAS's.

By design, VPN connections are secure...some more than others. PPTP is no longer considered secure and iOS devices don't even offer support to connect to PPTP VPNs. L2TP, IPSec, and IKEv2 VPN connections are secure. Should you use an SSL connection, sure, but VPN is already encrypted traffic by design.

The purpose of DNS is to resolve a name to an IP; you already have that with Asus DDNS since you only have one public IPv4 address shared by all your devices. You only need one network device to update your DDNS and your router is already handling that.

As an alternative to port-forwarding and messing with SSL, have you looked into the AiCloud Smart Access feature? It's supposed to let you log onto SMB shares via the router.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/how-to-use-aicloud-on-asus-router.30976/
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1010004/

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!