What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Owners)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

but i found solution to access netflix even if vpn fusion is enabled:
- put my ISP dns as dns in LAN->LAN - DHCP Server-->DNS Server.
-add your device ip LAN->LAN - DHCP Server->Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list and be sure dns server is default
-add your device ip VPN->VPN Fusion->Exception List .

to prevent dns leak when you add your vpn fusion profile add your vpn provider dns.

and now i can access netflix with many vpn fusion profile enabled with dns leak free

Thanks New. You are right it does work. In fact, setting the DNS in VPN Fusion exceptions for the TV's work for me. The DNS entry in LAN that you suggested, is used instead of the VPN DNS for clients that no other DNS is specified. That helps but the VPN Fusion Default and Exceptions do not assign both IP and DNS as one would expect as Merlin's implementation does. If I set the VPN as the default, new client traffic is routed though the VPN but uses the DNS from the LAN section. If I remove the DNS setting in the LAN section, all DNS is routed through the VPN DNS. Not a huge problem except that I want non VPN clients to be routed through a DNS based family filter. I think I can make it all work by setting every known client's DNS in the exception list but it is troublesome, hard to maintain and easy to mess up. I have 30 entries in the VPN exception list, with only 7 currently active as I am trying to figure the best way to make this all work. It should not be this hard. DNS and IP routing should go together as set up in the VPN Fusion Default and Exception list. I have no idea what the advantage is in not doing so. I do now have my TVs exempted, thanks for the heads up.

Traveler

Previous one had similar issues so RMA it won't help i think.
But let's try it again.
Ok, Did Rma and got a brand new GT rev A version (european) firmware 384.20308.
Now guess what, hooked it up and just power it up, 3 Ssids available ASUS_40_2G, ASUS_40_5G and ASUS_40_5G_GAMING.
But what i feared, the 2.4G (ASUS_40_2G) has again that same on/off looping, it's there for 15 sec then it disappears, again back ....
So impossible to config the router on this band.
The 5G bands don't seem to have this issue, so did connnect to this band for config.
So configured just the basic things, like SSid name and passwords, added some fixed Ip for Nas and Printer, activated link aggregation and IPTV.
So nothing changed in the wireless parts...
And after one hour i already have connection issues on 2.4G band, it's there but you cannot do anything with it...
Tried with several clients but all indicate no internet or connection issue...
Switched some devices to 5G and no problem internet is there....
If i reboot the router 2.4G is again working for some time...

Upgraded the firmware to 384.81099 -> issues remain.
I don't get it, do all those GT's have an issue on the 2.4G band !!

Ok, Did Rma and got a brand new GT rev A version (european) firmware 384.20308.
Now guess what, hooked it up and just power it up, 3 Ssids available ASUS_40_2G, ASUS_40_5G and ASUS_40_5G_GAMING.
But what i feared, the 2.4G (ASUS_40_2G) has again that same on/off looping, it's there for 15 sec then it disappears, again back ....
So impossible to config the router on this band.
The 5G bands don't seem to have this issue, so did connnect to this band for config.
So configured just the basic things, like SSid name and passwords, added some fixed Ip for Nas and Printer, activated link aggregation and IPTV.
So nothing changed in the wireless parts...
And after one hour i already have connection issues on 2.4G band, it's there but you cannot do anything with it...
Tried with several clients but all indicate no internet or connection issue...
Switched some devices to 5G and no problem internet is there....
If i reboot the router 2.4G is again working for some time...

Upgraded the firmware to 384.81099 -> issues remain.
I don't get it, do all those GT's have an issue on the 2.4G band !!

I have never had that problem. Might be something else and not your router. Just sayin'.

I have never had that problem. Might be something else and not your router. Just sayin'.

When i put back my old rt-ac68u, 2.4G is rock solid with same settings like on the GT....
So i don't get it...
But unfortunately I gave it away to a good friend ...

upload_2019-10-8_18-32-36.png

After router reset and no config done just boot-up, i get this...
You can clearly see the disconnection/connection of the 2.4 G band ASUS_40_2G @the right corner, the yellow line is interrupted.
Anybody having same issue?

Last edited:
View attachment 19518
After router reset and no config done just boot-up, i get this...
You can clearly see the disconnection/connection of the 2.4 G band ASUS_40_2G @the right corner, the yellow line is interrupted.
Anybody having same issue?
Interference is the first thing to check, especially since you've been through (3?) different routers. 2.4GHz is a busy band (and not just for routers but many different devices/protocols use it).
Use a WiFi analyzer (plenty free on the Play Store) to find the best channels to use and try a few different ones to see if the problem goes away.

Are those all SSIDs you can see you should be happy an have no problems with neighbours.
Set 5G to ch. 36-48 or stronger 149-161, you are on 52 and that is a DFS channel!

Are those all SSIDs you can see you should be happy an have no problems with neighbours.
Set 5G to ch. 36-48 or stronger 149-161, you are on 52 and that is a DFS channel!
Yes, those are all the SSIDs in the neighborhood, so i don't think there's really an issue with interference... because they are all of my Router.
The printscreen is the default setup from the GT-ac5300, the out of the box config.
The problem is only with the 2.4G band going on and off and all clients losing the connection.
The 2 5G bands do not have any issues at all, and DFS can be used here in Europe.

I've been doing some testing and when the router is not yet configured, so out of the box and powered up/or after a reset, this on/off thing for the 2.4G band is there.
But once configured, like other SIDD and password, i don't see this on/off thing any more...
However the 2.4G band will stop broadcasting or speed will be reduce to 1 mbps so not usable any more untill restart of router....
I started to do some tests within the professional settings and disabling the Airtime Fairness does the trick...
For now the 2.4G wifi stays broadcasting and speed is quite good.

So issue solved for now, but still i don't get it why it's having the on/off stuff when ootb or reset has been done.

Use fixed channels on 2,4 and 5G, much better than auto channel which will scan periodically and may lose connections.
Yes you can use DFS channels, but why should you do if you have unused ch. 36?

I've had mine for nearly two years and it's improved with age as new firmware has been implemented. Watch for USB 3 devices plugged into the rear ports interfering with the 2.4 GHz band. A 3.0 thumb drive crippled my 2.4G until I flipped the setting to 2.0 operation for the drive.

The only regret I have with this router is caused by Asus' weird decision to implement "Dedicated Wireless Backhaul(DWB)".
It's an AiMesh-only issue and it applies to all 3 radio routers.

But other than that, it's fast and stable. Stability did significantly improved since I bought the router 2 years ago.

Running Version 9.0.0.4.384.81551

Fixed a DDoS vulnerability.
- Fixed Let's Encrypt related bugs.
- Fixed VPN Fusion issues.
- Fixed folder creating bugs in Samba.
- Fixed dual wan failover bugs while the primary wan type is L2TP.

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5: 5ca64a4ad70e344bda542161cc2d86a4

There's an important note on Asus CN site:
ASUS GT-AC5300 firmware version 9.0.0.4.4.384.81468
Please note that this is a Beta version firmware. If you want to flash back the official firmware, please download the firmware file from the official website and log in to the GUI to update manually.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!