What's new

Router Advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

erdilmeet

New Around Here
Hi Friends,

I am Dilmeet from India and currently looking to buy a router within Rs 3000/- (equivalent to US 60$ or 40 GBP). I currently have a NetGear Router WNR 2000 which I bought few months ago for 97$ after reading the review from here and I am totally disappointed with the overall performance of the same as it provides horrible range and connectivity in my single floor flat which has 2 small rooms and 1 hall where the router is there. Currently I use it for browsing on my Dell Studio 15 which has n compatible, my desktop to which it is connected via ethernet cable and my Nokia E72 that is max G certified. On my laptop the connection drops are frequent and speed too is an issue while my E72 is just shows me that there is a device with network name that's it. Browsing is slower as compared to EDGE network though I have a 1mbps plan so unable to use wi fi on that( I have checked the performance on other g series routers and it works flawlessly). Just the desktop PC is running fine which is bad considering my modem which I got from my ISP used to serve the same purpose. I updated it to latest firmware (which was a pain too) but its still useless as a wireless router. So I am planning to change the same. But since my budget is limited this time I have a limited options from Netgear, Linksys, Belkin, D-link, Edimax and ASUS. While in my range I won't go for Netgear because of the terrible experience so far other routers from manufacturer's like Belkin, Edimax, D-link, Linksys are way to costly at the same price point of 97$ apporx while g series are available. However from ASUS I get NT13U which has bit torrent client and USB and a low price of 58$ and the review too is good as compared to Netgear WNR 2000. So kindly suggest some good wireless routers within 60$ with use as I mentioned of desktop, Laptop and Mobile connectivity within before-metioned premises so that I can surf and get good range and also is future proof to some extent as in standards.

Thanks in advance

Just as a thought have you tried using a program like Inssider to see what sort of wireless activity is going on in your location? Other wireless networks that are competing with your network for air space could be causing wireless to run very slowly.

For instance at my house, I have as few as three or as many as 8 networks that I can "see" with my wireless card and I live in a small rural town where you wouldn't think that there would be a lot of wireless activity. Wrong! This stuff is everywhere.

Take a look around and see what you can see. While it's certainly possible that some routers my deal with interference from other networks better it would not be money well spent to get something else and have it act the same or worse in your location.

Using a tool like Inssider or something similar you may be able to pick a less crowded channel which may make your wireless experience much better without spending any money.

Just as a thought have you tried using a program like Inssider to see what sort of wireless activity is going on in your location? Other wireless networks that are competing with your network for air space could be causing wireless to run very slowly.

For instance at my house, I have as few as three or as many as 8 networks that I can "see" with my wireless card and I live in a small rural town where you wouldn't think that there would be a lot of wireless activity. Wrong! This stuff is everywhere.

Take a look around and see what you can see. While it's certainly possible that some routers my deal with interference from other networks better it would not be money well spent to get something else and have it act the same or worse in your location.

Using a tool like Inssider or something similar you may be able to pick a less crowded channel which may make your wireless experience much better without spending any money.
I just know the router is not that good......have made up to change it tried enough also its not DDWRT supported so can't do much!!

With inSSIDer what are you getting in RSSI rate? Start a test running program on a laptops from where you have the router at. Then move around your dwelling to see where the dead spots are and where the peak areas are?

RE

Just ran the test yesterday and got the same result of 3 additional networks apart from mine........RSSI Value was -50 and speed varied from 65 to 70.

Last edited:
Re

Hi please reply as I have posted the test results. Also since I use g and n compatible devices so is it advisable to go in for a n draft router or g router?? and how is the ASUS NT13U with the download manager for torrents?? or should I go for a ASUS WL520G with the same bt client considering I would use it in a mixed network with n and g compatible devices. Kindly reply.

Hi please reply as I have posted the test results. Also since I use g and n compatible devices so is it advisable to go in for a n draft router or g router?? and how is the ASUS NT13U with the download manager for torrents?? or should I go for a ASUS WL520G with the same bt client considering I would use it in a mixed network with n and g compatible devices. Kindly reply.

Why do Torrents on WiFi rather than by wired connection?
The speed is governed by your ISP, unless using WiFi and have a really weak signal to OR from client.

Yes why would you want to use wireless on P2P? I know with the right gear you could do it, but that's going to be pushing that wireless hardware more than it should be push. Just use a wired connection on P2P, better in the long run. Mix mode G/N if you have both. If not then choose N or G? What type of hardware are you running P2P on?

Hi

I guess I was unable to clear what I wanted to do!!:D My Apologies for that!!
Well Since my current Router is of no good use according to me so I was looking for a new one, however, this forum made me check my current router once more and also I got to look at reviews of routers with in my Budget of Rs. 3k!! I found some good ASUS Routers namely WL520GU (G series)
& RT-N13U (N Series) which would cost Rs 1.9k & 2.7k respectively and their review also seems good according to the site. The extra feature which I liked was inbuilt Torrent client & since I download torrents a lot I thought It was great to simply plug in a USB drive to the router and switch off my Tower and let the file get downloaded onto the Drive thus saving lots on Electricity Bills since the power consumption of Router USB Drive combo is nothing compared to Router Computer combo. Hence:

1) So firstly are these two models mentioned earlier fine with the setup of downloading files directly to the drive without Computer being ON all the time or not?? Kindly let me know pros and cons of the same.:confused:

2) Secondly I have a DELL STUDIO 15 which has N supported WiFi adapter in built which made me buy this N Series Netgear WNR2000 which works well when it does but My Nokia N79 is b/g Compatible due to which I haven't been able to use WiFi on it even after switching the Router to work in b/g Mode till date even after the Firmware upgrade!! I think its a router specific issue & got nothing to do with the standards since N is backwards compatible with b/g. Also My phone works great with G series Router as I have tested it with that but never got a chance to test it with N series one.
So now since I browse on Both Laptop and Phone should I go for N series one or G series one since I don't know whether this issue of WiFi not working on My phone would be there or not?? Kindly let me know whether N series router support devices with b/g wireless adapters or not and if yes is my current router faulty in not letting me browse even if switched to b/g mode if not N??:confused:

Please clear my above mentioned doubts so that I can go in for a purchase right way and get rid of this Netgear (Crap for me) ASAP.:mad:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!