What's new

Router choice?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DigitalFreedom

New Around Here
Hello,

I am interested in the RT-AC68/86U or other models, in addition to Merlin firmware. After reading through forums a while, it seems many members lean towards the 86U.

The the ability to use a VPN is nice, although never used one. The 86U has the edge in, processing power/Intel encryption.

I would prefer easy to use features and better WiFi extension/control, using mostly 5mhz. Along with better router options. Over the better VPN processing, as long as the routers have decent performance.

I live in a neighborhood that is crowding the same coaxial pathways (thanks ISP) I know having the extra dedicated band helps, in a tri band unit. WiFi coverage needed is for a 2600 sf home. With open first level and 4 enclosed rooms at 2nd level.

Not to sure about the Asus policy. For using features such as built in security and others, which collect detailed personal data and submits it to seemingly unnecessary
parties? Unless this can be circumvented, with ability to use included features?

I am also unlearned with Merlin process, or if it’s something that can be downloaded at the router. Or recommendations on router settings at startup, such as immediate firmware updates.

Appreciate any help, or how to links for newbies.

Take care

Within the product range, the only Asus router I know with a very high degree of control over WiFi is the tri-band Asus RT-AC3200.

here is the dummy ui that you can play around to see how the ui work for you.
it's generally shared among the asus router with minor difference.
http://demoui.asus.com/index.asp

here is what trendmicro collect if you to enable ai-protection
https://www.trendmicro.com/en_us/about/legal/privacy-policy-product.html

merlin firmware is not required, it's great firmware.
however, if you are looking to use ai-mesh, I dont think it's being supported by merlin yet.

I appreciate the links. The UI looks easy enough for selecting correct base settings. Will also help in advance of setting up unit, should I purchase!

Not concerned with mesh at this point anyway. Maybe AC, if needed! Hopefully the 4 channels will be enough, considering small amount of clients.

RT-AC3200 is a 4 years old router!

I would prefer a 86U with probably 4 years longer support and updates!

RT-AC3200 is a 4 years old router!

I would prefer a 86U with probably 4 years longer support and updates!

I agree in general, but I like to note that the RT-AC3200 seems to be unique in the Asus lineup for its WiFi control. I'm not sure if even the Qualcomm-based business router Asus BRT-AC828, which has the same class leading radios as the Netgear R7800, has such fine-grained wireless control. Nor is it a tri-band router, assuming the OP actually needs that (unlikely).

Also, the OP is contradicting themselves, even in the same sentence. They want easy to use but want control too. That hints they are better off with a standard recommendation like the flagship RT-AC86U.

Last edited:
all new Asus routers have smart connect for wifi control, ac/gt5300 is also tri band, so what is unique in 3200 ?

Not contradictory in asking for “Easy to Use”. Meaning simple interface/GUI for settings. Advanced features settings can also be used, with easily disclosed details.

I would absolutely prefer a newer model, with firmware support. Even then the “May” word comes in to provide support up to?

Routers that have the additional WiFi channels may help, if they are unused in my area. The extra 5mhz band would help, provided majority of people in crowded area may not have tri-band capability. Although still unsure this makes a big difference, if at all. Considering 86U provides 4 streams.

Any tips on how to download Merlin and what is needed? What Asus firmware version to select on new 86U router as well as Merlin?

Thanks

The ASUS router UI is nearly the same for all their currently available routers. There are just minor changes to accommodate slightly different features among the routers.

Covering a 2600 sqft home with 5 GHz using a single router (whether it be dual band or tri-band) will result in fringe locations having slower speeds. However, the open first floor may make moderate speeds at the fringe locations possible.

The RT-AC86U is a great wifi router (I have two), but the SNB tests suggest that the RT-AC5300/GT-AC5300 will provide better speeds at the fringe. Both of those routers are Tri-band, so if you have a ton of 5 GHz devices in your house, these two routers could provide some effective improvements in bandwidth. The GT-AC5300 will not run a Merlin firmware, but as someone else said, there are other factors to consider as well.

The ideal setup is probably a router on each floor if you are capable of running an ethernet line in the house between the two routers. This will guarantee excellent speeds on both floors. In this configuration, you could go with the traditional Main router + access point style setup that has been an available configuration in ASUS routers for a number of years, or you could go with the AiMesh that is still under heavy development and optimization. I'm currently using the main+AP setup, and its working fine for me. If running an ethernet link is a hassle, then maybe try an RT-AC5300 first. As I have said in other threads, if the range isn't sufficient, you can easily sell it (or return it if if that's your thing).

as I know from my 86U I cannot find any Tri-band on it, can only set 1x 5G, but maybe I missed something ...

RT-AC3200 is 3x3 on 2.4GHz and 2x 5GHz, without 1024QAM, speeds only up to 600 Mbps + 2x 1300 Mbps. Might be ok for office use, but for home usage would go for AC86U, unless you have 50+ devices on 5GHz.

RT-AC86U is 3x3 on 2.4GHz and 4x4 on 5GHz, with 1024QAM support, which gives you 750 Mbps + 2167 Mbps speed, and very fast CPU, great for IPSec and OpeVPN. And AiMesh compatibility.

RT-AC5300/GT-AC5300 will give you best of both routers, but are too expensive. And if your home / appartment is large, you might get better results with two AC-86U in AiMesh.

Would definitely go with AC86U for home usage (20 - 30 devices), if you are concerned about money, 2xAC86U if you are less concerned, and RT-AC5300 + AC86U if you are not concerned at all :)

Last edited:
RT-AC5300 and GT-AC5300 is not the same ruter. GT5300 is a new platform like 86U, both have 64bit cpu with hw vpn, GT have 4 cores, 86U two, and have lates wifi chipset with range boost technology (whatever it means).

We have both 68U and 86U. If you don't need VPN and just need a simple wifi router then you can go for either one. 5G is great but depends on your house you may end up using 2.4G. I have 86U at first floor and the 5G signal is really bad at second floor, for another apartment we need 3*68U for 5G for good signal coverage.

p.s. I will not rely on the vpn server on these router because it is slow and can't heavily guarded

RT-AC5300 +86U +3X68U (AiMesh AP combo)
AIprotection is on
Adaptive QoS is on
Traffic Analyzer is on
35-42 devises , including 8 X IP cameras 1080P and and 2 TV streaming 1080P
CPU load on RT-AC5300 5-8% per core , if do download @400Mbps CPU load going up to 55% on 1 core 17% on 2nd

5G is great but depends on your house you may end up using 2.4G

Around my appartment, there are about 30+ networks runnig on 2.4GHz, fighting for bandwith, but only two on 5GHz. Moving my home network to 5GHz (and AiMesh for better coverage) improved Wifi speed and reliability dramatically. Only 3 legacy devices (security camera, weather station & heating) stayed on 2.4GHz network.

I also use different SSIDs for 2.4GHz and 5GHz, to make sure devices will stick to 5GHz.

For a case like mine, 2x AC86U in AiMesh is a much better solution than single GT-AC5300, while having similar price.

Around my appartment, there are about 30+ networks runnig on 2.4GHz, fighting for bandwith, but only two on 5GHz. Moving my home network to 5GHz (and AiMesh for better coverage) improved Wifi speed and reliability dramatically. Only 3 legacy devices (security camera, weather station & heating) stayed on 2.4GHz network.

I also use different SSIDs for 2.4GHz and 5GHz, to make sure devices will stick to 5GHz.

For a case like mine, 2x AC86U in AiMesh is a much better solution than single GT-AC5300, while having similar price.
Exactly what I am doing, I agree using aimesh, or some real mesh AP will much better then a single AC5300
p.s. for the apartment I use 3*AC68U, for the house I use AC86u to provide wifi for my garden and mesh from another brand for the whole house

I ended up purchasing the RT-AC86U and figured I can learn as I go! Many great features on this unit, that I am looking forward to using.

Appreciate all the help! I will probably return soon with a plethora of newbie, yet sensible questions. If that is even possible?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!