What's new

Router Configuration

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sandiegoboy

Occasional Visitor
I am looking for some advice. I live in a 2 story home with a basement.
I currently have
  1. AX86U as main router in top floor in aimesh
  2. AC68U as secondary router in main floor in aimesh
  3. N56u as third router in basement in AP mode (no support to mesh on that router)
Is there any particular configuration I should follow? Any better option? I set N56U to use different channels than the mesh routers. I just finished my basement and wanted to have good signal for TV/etc down there
Note that the basement is "low" and normally any cellular or wifi signal is very week hence want to have a router there. Main floor has 2.4GHz doorbell camera and microwave and I thought the second router assist with a strong connection. Also my two neighbors next to me have very strong routers (looks like some mesh)

I would have the RT-AX86U on the main floor, closer to the main use areas of the main, top, and basement if possible.

The other two routers I would use as Media Bridges to the wired devices that need it (TV's, desktop computers, etc.).

The less Wi-Fi (as long as you have adequate coverage) you have going on in your home, the better the performance you will see out of your network as a whole.

after checking here I'm reconsidering whether I need a new box of UTP and to fish wires through walls. I may just make my ol' n66u a bridge and call it a network.
The only question I have is should I leave the n66 stock or should I flash the latest version of John's fork to it for currency/security?

@heysoundude, there's no reason to let a router get behind on firmware. Flash it to @john9527's fork and keep it updated as the latest firmware become available. Then, with simply a reset to factory defaults, it can go into service as a router (if/when needed) and security won't be an issue.

The only question I have is should I leave the n66 stock or should I flash the latest version of John's fork to it for currency/security?

I have one similar router - RT-AC66U. It's the same hardware, just with AC radios. Media Bridge is unstable on the last Merlin 380.70 and newer John's fork versions. Keep it on stock Asuswrt, the latest version is from 2020/06/18. You don't need anything else on a Media Bridge.

@heysoundude, there's no reason to let a router get behind on firmware. Flash it to @john9527's fork and keep it updated as the latest firmware become available. Then, with simply a reset to factory defaults, it can go into service as a router (if/when needed) and security won't be an issue.
I have one similar router - RT-AC66U. It's the same hardware, just with AC radios. Media Bridge is unstable on the last Merlin 380.70 and newer John's fork versions. Keep it on stock Asuswrt, the latest version is from 2020/06/18. You don't need anything else on a Media Bridge.
Can either/both of you explain to me the wireless link between router and media bridge? I'm particularly interested in the hackability (or hopefully lack of) the connection. Not that I have any particular reason to be concerned, I'd just like to minimize any potential threats - as I ponder this, it would rely on the standard (WPA2-Personal-AES) I set to login to my WLAN, so the stronger there the better for the media bridge link. And if that is indeed the case, stock firmware is probably the way to go. I'm up-to-date with Merlin and Entware etc on my AC86, so that probably encapsulates the wireless bridge to N66, right?

The Media Bridge is just another client on the network. The main router's security determines how secure the connection will be (not the Media Bridge).

It is not any more, (or less), hackable than any other client would be.

While stock firmware will work, having a router 'ready to go', is more important, IMO, and worth the effort of having it on the most up-to-date and secure firmware available (@john9527's fork, in this case).

It is not enough to do 'just enough' today on your home network. Try to be one step ahead, when you can.

thats why I'm here, to learn and think before applying...but the n66 is a legacy piece - it most definitely does NOT fit the "today" category in any way, shape or form. I see what you're saying but if AC86 goes sideways, I'm running over to the local computer store to grab an AX86
just running through my mental checklist of what's what - everything downstream of the bridge should continue to see ntp from the script, CakeQoS will still apply...IPv6 too? I think it should...
diversion is the WAN side, unbound sits on the border of WAN-LAN...

Running to the computer store is the answer. When that is possible. Pre-Covid I would agree with you. Today, we just don't know what to expect 'tomorrow'.

Again, I'd rather be prepared as much as I can be (for a whole 15 minutes of my time) than not.

I'm particularly interested in the hackability

It's a client on your network. I don't know about "hackability", but if you want to use it as a Media Bridge, you have to use older Merlin before 380.70 (I believe 380.66 works) or latest stock Asuswrt. It breaks the connection on other firmware versions in a day or two. I used one for VoIP link before, it was constant hunting for a working firmware. FreshTomato 2020.6 works too, if you really want to experiment. I use a different router as wireless bridge now and never had to touch it for months.

but the n66 is a legacy piece - it most definitely does NOT fit the "today" category in any way, shape or form.

Why? It fits perfectly as up to 450Mbps wireless bridge, with the right firmware. My Grandstream VoIP didn't like it, but this is a different issue.

Today, we just don't know what to expect 'tomorrow'.
tomorrow we can expect what we order on Amazon today to arrive ;-p ...right?

Even then, sometimes, expected is not delivered .

So I just installed my AX86U. I have read many posts on he site. I have no idea what to do first in terms of firmware and updates. Can you direct me to a thread that may explain to someone who is not looking to do more than keep my router up to date and stable?

Use the links in the post here.

So I just installed my AX86U. I have read many posts on he site. I have no idea what to do first in terms of firmware and updates. Can you direct me to a thread that may explain to someone who is not looking to do more than keep my router up to date and stable?
If you stick with Asus firmware the best thing you can do is enabled automatic upgrades. That setting is in Administration, Firmware Upgrades, Auto Firmware Upgrades

If you stick with Asus firmware the best thing you can do is enabled automatic upgrades. That setting is in Administration, Firmware Upgrades, Auto Firmware Upgrades
Is there a downside to sticking with ASU firmware? What’s the benefit of using others?

It depends on what do you need. You have only one custom firmware option for your router:

Read what it offers as configuration options on top of stock Asuswrt and if you need it - use it. It's a firmware built on top of stock Asuswrt, installs the same way and doesn't affect your warranty. RMerlin is not a hacker, Asuswrt-Merlin firmware is created with Asus support and approval.

It depends on what do you need. You have only one custom firmware option for your router:

Read what it offers as configuration options on top of stock Asuswrt and if you need it - use it. It's a firmware built on top of stock Asuswrt, installs the same way and doesn't affect your warranty. RMerlin is not a hacker, Asuswrt-Merlin firmware is created with Asus support and approval.
I suppose after reading it, if I only understand about half of what it can do for me, then I probably don't need it. What’s the hassle of using the Merlin version over the stock FW, even if I don’t know all of what it can really do for me? Does it require any more periodic main tenancy that the stock FW wouldn’t require? I am not illiterate in all this, but certainly my knowledge is at the first grade level.

What’s the hassle of using the Merlin version over the stock FW

The hassle? I guess, even more options you know nothing about, making it more likely to break things. Then you come here and waste irreplaceable time of your life on a public forum in order to find out what went wrong. If you have no time or interest to learn new things, use simpler Asuswrt stock firmware.

The hassle? I guess, even more options you know nothing about, making it more likely to break things. Then you come here and waste irreplaceable time of your life on a public forum in order to find out what went wrong. If you have no time or interest to learn new things, use simpler Asuswrt stock firmware.
Maybe my question was poorly worded. HaHa. I am a forum believer. I like the exchange of information among real life users and developers. I have no issues putting my time in to learn. Maybe what I should have asked is: What are the pitfalls of an inexperienced user, such as myself, diving straight into the Merlin FW without a base of general knowledge? Maybe I should read more and learn some of the concepts before switching from the stock firmware.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!