What's new

Router lease wont renew

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gar

Very Senior Member
After loosing both my modem and router last weekend to severe weather and power issue I put my old modem (Motorola SB6141) and very old Linksys WRT54GL into service. All was well until the lease expired on the router and it doesn't/won't renew. I tried to release it and turn off the modem for an hour, no change upon renewal attempt, it just says "renewing" but never does. The connection is fine if I bypass the router. I tried another router to test things and it worked immediately. The Linksys wont allow internet access period. I haven't called the ISP, just hoping its something I'm missing having never had the problem before.

Have you done a hard factory reset ?
Yes and restarted modem as well. Tomorrow I will disconnect, including reset router again, everything including coax and let it sit a bit and then reconnect and re-power. Like to resolve this so I can use it as a backup after my new router arrives Thursday.

Last edited:
Weird, maybe try changing the MAC address on the router WAN interface to that of one you know works and test.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

It's old and obsolete but it was awesome for years, but no great loss if l can't fix it.

It's old and obsolete but it was awesome for years, but no great loss if l can't fix it.
I just meant that by changing the MAC you can determine if it's the router or some upstream problem. I figured you posted to try and determine the issue ... You already know changing device (and therefore MAC address) works.

The first thing I'd do is change the MAC *shrug*

Tbh I don't really know if your bridging the surfboard or acquiring local DHCP. Cable connections can be very pedantic about the MAC address and usually you will have to clone the MAC of the cable modem in a bridged scenario.

If the question is just whether the router is able to obtain a DHCP assigned IP on the WAN interface, setup DHCP via windows connection sharing or connect the router to the LAN port of another router and see if it's able to obtain one.

Problem solved:

All I had to do was disconnect the coax from the modem, cutting power to the modem wasnt enough. There must have been some residual connection maintained between the modem and ISP. Again, I learned something.

Yeah, it didn't sound like the router was at fault and I've never met a surfboard modem I've liked.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!