What's new

Router WiFi connections seem maxed out, what to do?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DonSimon76

New Around Here
i have an ASUS AC3200 and have recently installed a bunch of smart plugs, switches and a couple cameras. It seems that once I hit 20 “things” connected to the 2.4, it won’t accept anymore and gives an “incorrect password” error. If I disconnect an item, then the new item can connect. Tested this theory multiple times and proved that this was the case. They are items that can only connect to 2.4 networks. I have already moved anything that I could to the 5.0 networks. What can I do to get past this limit of 20? Would an access point work? Or would a newer router allow more connections?

I have the 2nd most recent firmware installed. The most recent totally killed the 2.4 so I rolled it back and everything started working again.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

The number of active connections would be a useful information in router testing. Homes are getting many more devices with all the iPhone, iPad, and smart home devices.

I run Cisco older WAPs and they can have 20 active users and 60 connections. The newer Cisco WAPs will allow 50 active users and 256 connections. I think this is all good information which Cisco publishes on their WAPs. I have not seen it published for wireless routers.

i have an ASUS AC3200 and have recently installed a bunch of smart plugs, switches and a couple cameras. It seems that once I hit 20 “things” connected to the 2.4, it won’t accept anymore and gives an “incorrect password” error. If I disconnect an item, then the new item can connect. Tested this theory multiple times and proved that this was the case. They are items that can only connect to 2.4 networks. I have already moved anything that I could to the 5.0 networks. What can I do to get past this limit of 20? Would an access point work? Or would a newer router allow more connections?

I have the 2nd most recent firmware installed. The most recent totally killed the 2.4 so I rolled it back and everything started working again.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

First see what happens if you use some or all of the guest networks on your router to connect IoT devices to. Each additional SSID might give you more WiFi slots. Never tried it because I have never had the problem so no gurantees. If this doesn't work most IoT devices require minimal bandwidth so pick up an older N or G capable router and repurpose it as an AP. If you don't have one around you should be able to find an used one for less than $20. This will give you at least 20 more WiFi slots. Just be sure to use a different channel than you used on the AC3200.

I am actually currently using the 2.4 guest network for my IoT stuff. I hadn’t thought of disabling the smart connect and manually manage what connects to which network. That sounds like the best thing for me to try next.

Really, with the IoT taking off like it is, this kind of issue needs better addressing in advertised specs.

I am actually currently using the 2.4 guest network for my IoT stuff. I hadn’t thought of disabling the smart connect and manually manage what connects to which network. That sounds like the best thing for me to try next.

Really, with the IoT taking off like it is, this kind of issue needs better addressing in advertised specs.

Sounds like Smart Connect is a well known big elephant implementation on the 3200:

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wir...us-rt-ac3200-smart-connect-the-missing-manual

i Changed smart connect to 5.0 only which opened up the 2.4 for manual control. I am now using the main 2.4 and a guest 2.4 and managed to get everything connected, so far, without any issues. I think I have 24 items connected now. Hopefully I have 40 total slots available now. I don’t foresee needing that many. Granted, I never would have foresaw needing 24 not too long ago!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!