What's new

RP-AC68U Repeater AC1900 Settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Col8eral

Regular Contributor
Hi

I have just got myself an RP-AC68U WiFi Repeater AC1900 and wanted to ask peoples recommendations for settings. At the moment I have set it as a wireless repeater for 2.4 and 5ghz channels.

1. my main router (RT-AC88U) is set for https login. Should I set the repeater to be the same?
2. should the SSIDs be the same in th repeater as the main router? If so how would I know what device is connected to which ASUS unit?
3. if I use roaming assistant, should roam assist be turned on for both the main router and the repeater?
4. Does a device have to login with password to both maiin router and repeater in order for the roam assist too work?
5. I have 3 bars for 2.4ghz and 2 and sometimes 3 bars for 5ghz. When I do a broadband speed test its only half thee rate as if I was on the main router. Is this correct or do i need to play with the position of the repeater?

Many thanks in advance

1. Whatever you prefer.
2. Again, your preference. You can log into the repeater to see who's connected.
3. Don't know. Don't use it.
4. It would have to log in to the access point when it connects to it. It wouldn't be logged into both at the same time. It's no different than if you had manually switched access points.
5. Depends on the exact numbers you're seeing and what your link rates are. But remember that WLAN bandwidth is halved when using a repeater (on the same band).

Would AP mode give me speeds the same as being connected the main router.

Also does roam assist still work with AP mode.

Would AP mode give me speeds the same as being connected the main router.
Yes

Also does roam assist still work with AP mode.
Well you can still set in on the main router because that hasn't changed (roam assist effects all local wireless clients). You'd have to check yourself whether roam assist is still available on the AP.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!