What's new

RT-86u on VPN results on 250 mbps line

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ASadani

Hi, just wanted to report my findings using openvpn with RT-86u. I am getting about 210 mbps with CPU utilization around 82% on a 250 mbps line. The server distance is far as well at about 182 ms.
Is this the maximum I could get with this router? or is there a way to tweak it further?

It’s impressive. If the server is far you’re going to struggle. If you’re not gaming I don’t think you’ll notice that much. Can you not pick a closer server or do you need it out of country. Re the ping time.

It’s impressive. If the server is far you’re going to struggle. If you’re not gaming I don’t think you’ll notice that much. Can you not pick a closer server or do you need it out of country. Re the ping time.

Even if I connect to UK which is 136 ms. I still can't get over 210 mbps. It seems like the Router CPU is maxing out. On the AC5300, I used to get about 82 mbps with CPU maxed out.

US Servers are needed for US Content

Last edited:
RMerlin did some tests a while back when the 86 came out. IIRC he said you are going to get 220-250 tops on the 86.

210 on a 250 line sound fantastic actually. You are almost never going to get your exact provisioning. Between poor caps. ISPs overdelivering. As well as flat out network overhead.

I wold not fret over not getting that last 40 mbps.

RMerlin did some tests a while back when the 86 came out. IIRC he said you are going to get 220-250 tops on the 86.

210 on a 250 line sound fantastic actually. You are almost never going to get your exact provisioning. Between poor caps. ISPs overdelivering. As well as flat out network overhead.

I wold not fret over not getting that last 40 mbps.

I thought so too. Thanks. Earlier when I had 100 mbps, I used to get about 90 mbps. The downloads would show 10.7 etc. Now when its 250, the downloads stay around 21.2 at most. I also see the router cpu at about 82% where the AC5300 would max out as well. :)