What's new

RT-AC3100 Auto assigning Static IP address

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Greg Eshleman

New Around Here
Just purchased an RT-AC3100 to replace my RT-N66U. Since installing yesterday two of the devices the Xbox and my TV are being assigned a static IP address. The router is set to hand out the IP address, not sure why they are being assigned to a static IP address. Sometimes other things on the network will randomly be assigned a static IP address also. I have tried the most current merlin firmware and have tried 2 other merlin firmwares and no change. Not sure if its a router issue or what it could be.

Attachments

• file.jpg
    file.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 837
  • file 2.jpg
    file 2.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 831
  • file 3.png
    file 3.png
    380.1 KB · Views: 588
Looks like your devices itself set static address inside them (because I this did router through DHCP it's called "Manual" instead auto - "DHCP").

I found ASUSWRT (merlin or not) tends to "remember" ip address it hands out. I used to have a secondary router (wl1 wireless client bridged to my RT-AC68U) requesting a static ip at 192.168.1.5 (set at the secondary router's side), then I changed the use and connect its WAN to the LAN of my RT-AC68U and using "automatic getting ip" mode. I then tried to manually assign 192.168.1.5 to this secondary router from ASUSWRT interface but it REFUSED and showing the randomly assigned 192.168.1.191 was a static IP!!! Both routers have been rebooted but no luck. Looks like it has reserved 192.168.1.5 to the wl1 interface or mac address (but the rule was not there). I have to manually assign 192.168.1.7 which hasn't been used as static ip by any device before, then it worked...I was about to ask in this forum yesterday why ASUSWRT is handing out static IP automatically.

I'm using the 380.62.1 firmware.

Last edited: