What's new

RT-AC5300: Cannot find current or new firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rolfi

Occasional Visitor
Hey all,

today I checked for new firmware versions for my router, and apparently there is quite a big jump from 3.0 to 4.6:
https://imgur.com/a/3j6dHuH

However, when clicking on the "4.6" label, no information loads (even after 15mins waiting time). On the ASUS website I cannot find any of the versions, neither the current one nor the new one.

I am confused...:confused:

And sorry...I posted in the main thread, instead of the "ASUSWRT - Official".
Mod please move :)

Hey all,

today I checked for new firmware versions for my router, and apparently there is quite a big jump from 3.0 to 4.6:

However, when clicking on the "4.6" label, no information loads (even after 15mins waiting time). On the ASUS website I cannot find any of the versions, neither the current one nor the new one.

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AC5300/HelpDesk_Download/

According to your picture, you are only one version behind. This is the current version from the ASUS web site: Version 3.0.0.4.384.81930 2020/06/18 38.17 MBytes

Have you tried clicking the "Firmware Upgrade" button in the image you posted. That "should" get the update. Or you can get it and manually update from the link I posted. Just remember, if you happen to be running a mesh network, the manual update will not update all the units in the mesh.

That's the same page I linked to in my initial post. And it doesn't show the 4.6 firmware :)
I don't have any idea why you have that 4.6 showing up. ASUS have been a bit flaky with their updating lately. I've not heard of an "official" 4.6 FW for the RT-AC5300. The one on the website at the link I posted is the latest that I know of, and it's dated only two days ago.

I don't have any idea why you have that 4.6 showing up. ASUS have been a bit flaky with their updating lately. I've not heard of an "official" 4.6 FW for the RT-AC5300. The one on the website at the link I posted is the latest that I know of, and it's dated only two days ago.

Strange, yes. I downloaded the firmware from the official site and performed a manual firmware update. Now the "current" firmware is installed, however when clicking on the Firmware Check it still shows the 4.6:
https://imgur.com/a/5oClETd

I just hope my router is not hacked :(

Have you jumped between RMerlin and stock firmware without doing a full reset to factory defaults? Or, have you ever performed a full reset on the router at all? :)

Hey all,

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AC5300/HelpDesk_BIOS/
the latest version on the Asus site is: 3.0.0.4.384.81930

Also run the MD5-HASH on the version you downloaded. It should be:
3824df528b2e3ddb5c696ebc1b623292

Last edited:
Hey all,

I have same situation, latest firmware installed is 3.0.0.4.384_81930-g94bf76d
Equipment never find 4.6

I just put my 5300 back online. There appears to be something screwed up on the ASUS update server side. I manually installed 3.0.0.4.384.81930 before I put the unit back in service. When I checked the Firmware Update button on the Admin page in the router UI, I also got the "4.6" available message, with no release notes if you click on the "4.6" link. And the router wants to download the .81930 release again even though that is what's currently running on the router. Also the Checksum listing and button is not showing on the Admin Firmware Upgrade page as it was before the last update. I think I'll put in a help call to ASUS on Monday just to let them know. The router seems to be running OK though.

Last edited:
Look at photo attached, V4.6 for all my ASUS equipment

Attachments

• ASUS 06192020.jpg
    ASUS 06192020.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 329

With all of us running 5300s having this exact same issue, I again think there's something messed up on the ASUS update server side, specific to the 5300s and this F/W version. It wouldn't be the first time that someone at ASUS has borked their update servers and/or put out a buggy firmware update.

Last edited:
With all of us running 5300s having this exact same issue, I again think there's something messed up on the ASUS update server side, specific to the 5300s and this F/W version. It wouldn't be the first time that someone at ASUS has borked their update servers and/or put out a buggy firmware update.
I think problems is all ASUS equipment, even my RT-AC66U_B1 shows update to V4.6

Have you jumped between RMerlin and stock firmware without doing a full reset to factory defaults? Or, have you ever performed a full reset on the router at all? :)

Always had the stock firmware ;)

But I haven't done a firmware reset in a while. I will do one now.

Also, because the router just rebooted on its own...

I am glad that this is not just me!

Always had the stock firmware ;)

But I haven't done a firmware reset in a while. I will do one now.

Also, because the router just rebooted on its own...

I am glad that this is not just me!

This is what got me started with these issues. I did an auto update to 3.0.0.4.384.81930. When the flash was done, the router would reboot every few minutes or so. I tried a number of fixes, including putting the router in Recovery Mode and tried to flash it that way. That failed at 83% several times. What seemed to fix things for me (for now anyways) was to hold WPS, hold Reset, and power on. That appears to have fixed the constant reboot loop the router was stuck in. It's been up and running for almost 12 hours now and seems stable. I just am left with the weirdness on the Firmware Update UI page, where the Signature version display and Check button has disappeared, and if I click the Check for update button it wants to d/l the version I currently have installed. It also reports that 4.6 is the update version that others have been seeing. I wish there was a way for us to put in a group help ticket to ASUS. When I spoke w/ tech support, they seemed to have no clue as to what was happening. Since my router is out of warranty, they offered that I return it for diagnosis and repair...for a fee. I politely declined. Maybe a group of us reporting the same thing will get someone's attention at ASUS. I'm open to ideas at this point. Thanks.

RMerlin firmware highly suggested. Even the latest Alpha's and the newest Beta 1 are more stable than what is being described here.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will flash Merlin today, but I will stick with the stable :)
2de7a7b4cf6a07eef919b76bd423547c6ada08b6918f1f0950b4bae2c6cb98b2 RT-AC5300_384.17_0.trx

Something I already love is that https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/ posts the SHA hashes of the downloads, that are hostet on Sourceforge. That way I am more assured, that the downloads were not tampered with :)

Thanks for the responses everyone!

@rolfi, do as you must!

But there is a reason the new alpha's and beta has come out (384.17_0 release final is from April 26, 2020). :)

Stable in April doesn't mean too much in June when the rest of the (wifi) world keeps continually re-inventing itself.

@rolfi, do as you must!

But there is a reason the new alpha's and beta has come out (384.17_0 release final is from April 26, 2020). :)

Stable in April doesn't mean too much in June when the rest of the (wifi) world keeps continually re-inventing itself.

That's very true! But I need the wifi for work and therefore really need the stability of a stable build...and having an alpha or beta with other software...you know, that crashes more often than not :confused:

How satisfied are you with the stability of the beta build (or even alpha o_O )?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!