What's new

RT-AC5300 cannot upload FW. Help please.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JasonUK

Occasional Visitor
My setup:

ISP: Virgin Media 150mbps
Router: GT-AC5300 (main) + RT-AC5300 (mesh node)
Modem: VM Hub (modem-mode)
AiMesh Node Connection Quality: -60 dBm

I want to load the Merlin FW to my RT mesh node but I'm having some difficulties. The steps I have taken are:
Login to GT WebUI (192.168.1.1)
Click on Navigate
Click on Firmware Upgrade
Under AiMesh Node click on 'Upload' where it says "Manual Firmware Update"

This opens a new window (192.168.1.148/AiMesh_Node_FirmwareUpgrade.asp) which eventually fails to load and gives the following error:

This site can’t be reached
192.168.1.148 took too long to respond.

Try:

• Checking the connection
  • Checking the proxy and the firewall
ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

^^^ Can someone help advise how to fix this?

Remove the node from the network. Reset it to factory.
Upload the firmware. Reset to factory again. Re-add as a node.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove the node from the network. Reset it to factory.
Upload the firmware. Reset to factory again. Re-add as a node.

Was hoping to update it without having to reset to factory as it's difficult to access. Can I not FTP into it somehow?
Also, your steps say to reset to factory a second time after uploading the firmware - would this not remove the firmware upload if i reset to factory again?

Was hoping to update it without having to reset to factory as it's difficult to access. Can I not FTP into it somehow?
Also, your steps say to reset to factory a second time after uploading the firmware - would this not remove the firmware upload if i reset to factory again?

You have to reset it to remove it from the network properly.
It is best practice to reset when changing to Merlin.

You can reset it via its GUI over its own broadcasted Wi-fi - no physical access required

And no, a reset to factory just wipes settings, not firmware

You have to reset it to remove it from the network properly.
It is best practice to reset when changing to Merlin.

You can reset it via its GUI over its own broadcasted Wi-fi - no physical access required

Sorry to sound stupid but how do I access it’s own web ui? Whenever i type 192.168.1.1 it will only connect to the main router, not the node. There is no option on the UI to reset the node.

On the main router, remove the node from the network. Then the node will go back to router mode itself and you can connect to its default “ASUS” Wi-fi it will start broadcasting

On the main router, remove the node from the network. Then the node will go back to router mode itself and you can connect to its default “ASUS” Wi-fi it will start broadcasting

Thanks - once I have done all this... do I need to bring the router closer to mesh it again? Connection quality is currently -60dBm between main router and mesh node.

-60 should be fine. If the main router can find it then life is good!

Argh wish I wasn't me right now lol... Was all going well, removed the node, factory reset, I had to enter SSID/Password and administrator credentials... I know for SSID i put Test and password Test12345 but for the life of me I cannot remember what Administrator credentials I put in !!

:( lol I am so gutted right now

Can’t help you there buddy! Gonna have to go press the reset button I think!

I’ll continue it tomorrow when i get a chance to go out to it. Thank you though for all the help.

Reactions: JDB

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!