What's new

RT AC66U WAN/LAN speed - IPTV config

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

squawker

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

I’m a noob so if my questions were already answered, please forgive me.

1. My internet service is 200/60 Mb/s and with my previous router (ASUS RT N56U) i did not have any difficulty to obtain it via cables between modem/router/computer LAN port (all cables cat 6).

My new AC66U came with 3.0.0.4.260 FW and with it the download speed was limited to about 160 Mb/s, and only after updating to 3.0.0.4.354 (beta) FW i was able to have 200 Mb/s downloads from a near test server. Upload was OK.

This is weird because in the AC66U review by SmallNet, the routing performance is measured as 836 Mb/s down and 839 Mb/s up, and so, even with old FW it should be able to manage 200Mb/s connections.

So, i’d like to know if even the 3.0.0.4.354 FW is not reducing the AC66U routing performance and perhaps the Merlin firmware is better for routing performance.

2. In my configuration the AC66U is connected to a cable fiber modem, using LAN IP TV configured with Manual ISP Profile and Internet VID 10. Both IPTV and VoIP VID’s are blank because i don’t have them.

With 3.0.0.4.354 FW i can obtain Internet output on the 4 router’s LAN ports, and this is good to me, because the router is feeding 4 computers, but with any other FW the Internet connection is limited to 2 LAN ports (LAN1 and 2).

If i try to configure the IPTV (LAN port 4) and VoIP (LAN port 3) as if they Internet (VID 10 in my case), i lost all Internet connectivity.

Is there a way to configure the assignment of LAN ports in AC66U?

Sorry for the long post.
Regards

Any feature that disables hardware acceleration (like QoS for instance) will cause WAN to LAN performance to drop to around 150 Mbits.

Any feature that disables hardware acceleration (like QoS for instance) will cause WAN to LAN performance to drop to around 150 Mbits.

Thanks for replying. Yes, 150 Mb/s is about what the router gives as download with old 3.0.0.4.260/3.0.0.4.270 FWs, even with hardware acceleration enabled (I did not enable QoS or something else that i think could have disabled hardware acceleration).

Even with 3.0.0.4.354 FW and with downloads OK (200 Mb/s), after setting the router as a bridge and returning it as normal router, the downloads drop to about 150/160 Mb/s and there is no way to obtain again the 200 downloads, even if i restore the FW to factory default, or reinstall it directly.

The oddest thing is that the only way to obtain again the 200 Mb/s download level is to first install the 3.0.0.4.260 or 3.0.0.4.270 FWs and after this installing 3.0.0.4.354 again!!

Meanwhile, the RT 56U downloads are solid as rock.

Well, i suppose that if my AC66U (7 ASUS FW versions) is not defective, it has a long way before being so dependable as RT56U with its 16 ASUS FW versions!

Regards

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!