What's new

RT-AC66U_B1 5GHz guest unable to connect keeps dropping and retrying

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Natty

Regular Contributor
RT-AC66U_B1 running 384.17 in Wireless Router mode. 5GHz wireless is set to Channel 36. AiMesh is disabled/not used. A device on the 5GHz Guest network (Amazon fire TV stick) is today unable to connect. The router is set to reboot each morning at 4am, just in case anything bad happens if I happen to be away. Today, the system log is filled with 12 hours of Auth - ReAssoc - Deauth every few seconds relating to the problem device. This exact same issue happened once before, a few days ago, so it needs fixing.

Rebooting the problematic device did not fix the issue. It continued to connect - disconnect while complaining of no network. So it looks like the router is getting into a bad state.

The issue cleared after resetting the 5GHz wireless, either by doing a site survey, or by clicking "apply" on the wireless settings page (without having changed anything) .. I'm not sure which step cleared the blockage. Site survey didn't show any contending networks on the same channel. The problematic device has a reserved IP allocation, and the signal strength is good, at -50dBm.

Syslog shows an endlessly repeating sequence of these three steps:
Code:
Jun 22 18:53:05 syslog: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(420): wl1.1: Auth 12:34:56:78:D5:F5, status: 0, reason: d11 RC reserved (0)
Jun 22 18:53:05 syslog: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(430): wl1.1: ReAssoc 12:34:56:78:D5:F5, status: 0, reason: d11 RC reserved (0)
Jun 22 18:53:12 syslog: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(386): wl1.1: Deauth_ind 12:34:56:78:D5:F5, status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3)

Are there any clues in the syslog? Am I just not using it right? Is this a bug in an otherwise stable router?