What's new

RT-AC68U and lan port as WAN backup dont work

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Entsu

New Around Here
Hi all

I have this RT-AC68U router with Merlin 378.53 version. I have not got the dual wan backup functionality to work? So the idea is to attach WAN port to my main LTE modem (ethernet cable) and LAN port (let's say no1) as backup port to my DSL connection (which is slower). I have configured it but it just does not rise the LAN port connection as active or standby. It just stays as disconnected.
My question is: Does anyone know should this functionality work? If you know it works please let me know your firmware and setup in detail.
I have tried with Ausus most fresh firmware and now this merlin version but no luck.

Any feedback and idea is welcome!

Last edited:
Hi

I think yes indeed. Here is few screenshots

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fyofu1dor... Wireless Router RT-AC68U - Dual WAN.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7yua22z70...reless Router RT-AC68U - Network Map.png?dl=0

If you see anything strange any ideas welcome.

If I switch the DSL cable to WAN slot it will work and LTE modem cable to the LAN1 port it will not work. Just if someone is wondering there is something wrong with the two separate connections I try to attach. But no. Both of them will get connected in WAN port ok but neither of them in LAN1 port.

I don't have two WAN connections but I think only one of the two will be active at the same time not both together - it is fail-over when one goes down. Have you tried to turn off Modem on WAN - does it change over to LAN1 modem?

Yes I have tested to disconnect the cables
If I disconnect WAN cable, then LAN 1 stays down and backup connetion does not work (link led is on)
If I disconnect LAN 1 cable nothing changes as it was not connected anyway according to router
If I plug backup connection to WAN port it gots up according to router

To summarize: Any connection I plug to backup wan port (which I have assigned to be LAN 1) does not get conneced according to router and thus does not work. Does anyone have similar setup working?

I think that you should test this without disconnecting any cables as the router will sense the cable is not there. Try to disconnect the internet connection coming into your ISP modem and then see if the AC68 fails over to the other connection.

It does not seem to do any difference if I disable the connection from the adsl side without de-attaching the cable. AFAIK it should say standby also in the backup connection even if it is not needed.
I suspect that there is few options left
a) the unit is faulty
b) the backup wan just does not work as promised in this model (= common fault)
c) the functionality works in some firmware versions, but not the latest ones.

for A) I am now sending the unit back for replacement
for B) it may still be since there is similar posts
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/dual-wan-on-rt-ac68u-not-working.19134/
for C) I am wery inrerested if someone has this working...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!