What's new

RT-AC86U finally added RT-AC1900P as node for Aimesh - what worked

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BJBBJB

Occasional Visitor
A long-time lurker of the great info on this site but first time post. I found it interesting that all the best discussions and was going to post of my issue until I solved it. I read up quite a bit on this before jumping in but still cannot get it to work. I was thinking I might have some performance issues but not an issue actually getting it to work.

I was happily using an RT-AC1900P as my main router with various switches and a few AP's hanging off of it.

I kept reading about the Asus AiMesh and I decided to purchase an RT-AC86U for my new main router and then planned to use the 1900P as my node.

It took a few weeks to get the 86U working how I wanted and it was all set and stable. Made sure the 86U firmware was updated.

Updated the 1900P firmware, reset it and.....like a few threads I saw here "unable to add" as a node to my 86U. It sees it right away....then it went to 50% or so and cruises to 100% and gives that generic unable to add box.

I moved it, I reset it, I tried again and again with no joy.

I knew both devices had the most recent firmware.

And Ai Mesh icon was there...and it sees the 1900P, it just would not add it.

After multiple tries what finally worked was turning OFF another brand AP that was hung off the 86U and then it worked. I really doubt this was a coincidence because in this case, it was the ONLY thing that I changed or did. Just thought I would share in case it helps someone else.

Anything else I should check or tweak? I had all the channels on my other AP's set to avoid other channels in my house and nearby neighbors. On the 86U I now have 2.4 and 5 bonded and channels on automatic, I assume this carries over to the 1900P now? Is this best?

I will eventually retire my other AP's once the Mesh routers are setup in the right place and give me the coverage I need, hopefully.

Thanks,

BJBBJB

A long-time lurker of the great info on this site but first time post. I found it interesting that all the best discussions and was going to post of my issue until I solved it. I read up quite a bit on this before jumping in but still cannot get it to work. I was thinking I might have some performance issues but not an issue actually getting it to work.

I was happily using an RT-AC1900P as my main router with various switches and a few AP's hanging off of it.

I kept reading about the Asus AiMesh and I decided to purchase an RT-AC86U for my new main router and then planned to use the 1900P as my node.

It took a few weeks to get the 86U working how I wanted and it was all set and stable. Made sure the 86U firmware was updated.

Updated the 1900P firmware, reset it and.....like a few threads I saw here "unable to add" as a node to my 86U. It sees it right away....then it went to 50% or so and cruises to 100% and gives that generic unable to add box.

After multiple tries what finally worked was turning OFF another brand AP that was hung off the 86U and then it worked. I really doubt this was a coincidence because in this case, it was the ONLY thing that I changed or did. Just thought I would share in case it helps someone else.

Anything else I should check or tweak? I had all the channels on my other AP's set to avoid other channels in my house and nearby neighbors. On the 86U I now have 2.4 and 5 bonded and channels on automatic, I assume this carries over to the 1900P now? Is this best?

I will eventually retire my other AP's once the Mesh routers are setup in the right place and give me the coverage I need, hopefully.

Thanks,

BJBBJB
@BJBBJ where do you turn off this option "another brand AP"?

Assuming this wasn't a re-firmwared T-Mobile 1900, was it? Can't update the firmware past 384.20308 on those last time I checked. If you do, it goes back to being a T-Mo router and AIMesh doesn't work. So, I am guessing not since you got it working, but still decided to ask because was wondering if it was and they finally allowed/fixed this.

Thanks,
Chris

Assuming this wasn't a re-firmwared T-Mobile 1900, was it? Can't update the firmware past 384.20308 on those last time I checked. If you do, it goes back to being a T-Mo router and AIMesh doesn't work. So, I am guessing not since you got it working, but still decided to ask because was wondering if it was and they finally allowed/fixed this.

Thanks,
Chris
No my 1900P was Best Buy retail, stock firmware.
BJBBJB

Thanks,

BJBBJB

Sorry for the late response, and I hope you got your issue worked out. I had the same issue. After consulting with Asus tech support, it was determined that my hidden SSID was the issue. Once I unhid the SSID, the AIMesh routers synced flawlessly.

Good luck!

Sorry for the late response, and I hope you got your issue worked out. I had the same issue. After consulting with Asus tech support, it was determined that my hidden SSID was the issue. Once I unhid the SSID, the AIMesh routers synced flawlessly.

Good luck!
Thanks, hope that helps someone and glad it worked for you. None of my SSID's were hidden. I am fairly certain it was my other AP.

I never did get around to tweaking my settings but it has run reliably since. I do reboot my router nightly with a timer which eliminated some issues I had been having even before I went mesh.

BJBBJB

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!