What's new

RT-AC86U hit the FCC

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

What is the speed of R/W in wireless ?

Untested, because it's quite irrelevant - the wireless link will be your bottleneck, not Samba or the USB port.

Would you happen to have any inital thoughts or advice about the RT-AC86u? I was considering it with a network switch to replace an RT-AC88u with apparent port issues. WAN is stuck at 100FD and LAN 1 is unresponsive. Other ports randomly switch from 10FD to 100FD or 1000FD.

Any advice on the 86 would be greatly appreciated!

Lot of potential with the hardware, but the software still needs some work. I know that quite a few issues have been fixed already by Asus since the last release, so I'd wait to see how it will pan out with future releases.

I haven't experienced any link issue so far with Ethernet, however I advise disabling all Trend Micro-related features for the time being, as that's one of the most unstable portion of the firmware as of 382_15098.

I haven't really tested it in a live network environment however, it mostly sits idle connected by its WAN port within my LAN for remote debugging.

Lot of potential with the hardware, but the software still needs some work. I know that quite a few issues have been fixed already by Asus since the last release, so I'd wait to see how it will pan out with future releases.

I haven't experienced any link issue so far with Ethernet, however I advise disabling all Trend Micro-related features for the time being, as that's one of the most unstable portion of the firmware as of 382_15098.

I haven't really tested it in a live network environment however, it mostly sits idle connected by its WAN port within my LAN for remote debugging.

Much appreciated. I may need to pick one up once the software matures. I keep a spare 68u around incase the live router acts up. Saved me when the 87u fried itself and this 88u started acting up. Might finally retire it for the 86u.

Currently amazon has the 86U for $200 USD; $46 less than the AC3100 and from what I can tell the only benefits of the 3100 are link aggregation, four external antennas, and a 4x4 2.4 Ghz radio. Am I missing something? Are there that many people who use link aggregation driving the higher price? Seems like the upgraded hardware on the 86U would be at a higher price point.

I am having wireless issues with 86u at the moment. Don't know is that only my unit or not, but seems like a software issue. Every 2-3 hours connected to wireless units can't reach internet. While wired PC is completely fine. After reboot everything is fine again. Tried both available firmwares with no luck. Moreover Asus managed to break AiCloud in new firmware.

RMerlin,
If you have any alpha builds I am ready to be beta tester for those=) I bet even in alpha stage they'll be much more stable than Asus. In fact the only reason I am still with Asus is Merlin custom firmwares.

Отправлено с моего XT1635-02 через Tapatalk

If you have any alpha builds I am ready to be beta tester for those=) I bet even in alpha stage they'll be much more stable than Asus.

It's not. It's not even stable enough for me to use as my main router, and won't be for quite a while. This is a major project as I had to start from clean Asus code, and merge/adapt my existing code piece by piece on top of it.

Untested, because it's quite irrelevant - the wireless link will be your bottleneck, not Samba or the USB port.

I'm only using laptop and it's link speed is 866mbps. It means Up/Down each can reach 400mbps (= 50MB).
But my RT-AC1900P only can handle til 30~31MB (250mbps) in wireless.
Before I tested AC88U, it could handle only 35MB in wireless.
Surely, I turned off Reducing USB 3.0 interference option.
I thought its a bottleneck of CPU because 2 cores were stuck at 100%.
Am I wrong?

Could you test it once ? It will only waste your 1 min :D

It's not. It's not even stable enough for me to use as my main router, and won't be for quite a while. This is a major project as I had to start from clean Asus code, and merge/adapt my existing code piece by piece on top of it.
Got it. I don't know is it the right place to ask those questions, but what can you advice me to do with current wireless problem? Do you have the same ones on your unit?
Or the only thing that is left to me is wait for new firmware from Asus and hope that it will fix the issue?
I've tried to play around with two currently available firmwares. Tried to reset to default on both of them with no major improvement.
BTW I can confirm usb 3.0 speed being as high as 115 mb/sec with usb3.0 interference turned off at latest firmware.

Do you have the same ones on your unit?

No idea, I haven't used its wireless. It's only setup for doing development, it's not installed as my main router.

BTW I can confirm usb 3.0 speed being as high as 115 mb/sec with usb3.0 interference turned off at latest firmware.

This is normal, enabling this option forces the USB port to fallback to USB 2.0 mode. It should be disabled when using a USB 3.0 drive, provided that drive is properly shielded so not to interfere with the 2.4 GHz radio band.

Asus should have a new firmware for this router shortly. No idea what was changed in it. I know Asus did fix a few crashing issues recently, so this firmware should hopefully be much more stable.

Before I tested AC88U, it could handle only 35MB in wireless.
Surely, I turned off Reducing USB 3.0 interference option.
I thought its a bottleneck of CPU because 2 cores were stuck at 100%.

Bottleneck on the RT-AC88U was indeed the CPU. At best it could do around 60-70 MB/s over Samba.

No idea, I haven't used its wireless. It's only setup for doing development, it's not installed as my main router.

This is normal, enabling this option forces the USB port to fallback to USB 2.0 mode. It should be disabled when using a USB 3.0 drive, provided that drive is properly shielded so not to interfere with the 2.4 GHz radio band.

Asus should have a new firmware for this router shortly. No idea what was changed in it. I know Asus did fix a few crashing issues recently, so this firmware should hopefully be much more stable.
Thanks for reply. Will be hoping for new firmware. And will be waiting for your =)

I am curious why AC86U firmware size is so big :O?

Much newer kernel, which is compiled as 64-bit. The new Broadcom SDK is also much larger, with new components.

Asus finally rolled out update that fixes all the issues I have at the moment. At least according to change log. Will test out todays evening and report back. Fingers crossed =)

I have 2 AC86Us due to arrive today. Have an AC68P & AC68U(t-mobile ac1900, set as access point) running Merlin FW that have been running 24/7 for about 3 years and figured it'd be a good time to upgrade. Just put in Asus AC 3100 PCIe cards in our 2 upstairs computers, hope to see a bit faster, steadier through-put as they are mainly used for streaming video (DirecTV Now, Amazon Prime).

sam

I have 2 AC86Us due to arrive today. Have an AC68P & AC68U(t-mobile ac1900, set as access point) running Merlin FW that have been running 24/7 for about 3 years and figured it'd be a good time to upgrade. Just put in Asus AC 3100 PCIe cards in our 2 upstairs computers, hope to see a bit faster, steadier through-put as they are mainly used for streaming video (DirecTV Now, Amazon Prime).

sam
Yours arrive right in time. Before today wireless was working not in the best way. However need to check performance of new firmware tonight.

Reporting about new firmware. Much better. Still some issues with 2TB USB 3.0 drive scanning (Error 12). Not enough RAM, I think. Open VPN now with option "Client will use VPN to access" Lan only or internet and Lan. Still testing...

Reporting about new firmware. Much better. Still some issues with 2TB USB 3.0 drive scanning (Error 12). Not enough RAM, I think. Open VPN now with option "Client will use VPN to access" Lan only or internet and Lan. Still testing...
So, still wireless lose internet connection, while LAN is still fine. Asus have listed that they have fixed it in recent firmware, but obviously not. Waiting for new firmware then...

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!