What's new

RT-AC86u WAN LED red, but still able to browse from LAN/WLAN devices?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

itchyscratchy

Occasional Visitor
I first noticed this today after performing a hard reset on the router. The router did an automatic FW update, but then I had a hard time getting the browser page to load the router's web gui. I then put the router in rescue mode, ran the FW recovery tool, and the latest (Version 3.0.0.4.382.18219) FW for it. I set up the router, set up manually assigned IPs around the DHCP, put some devices on the bandwidth limiter, and press "Reboot" after all the settings have been saved. Then the WAN LED stays red, as if it hasn't completed its initial setup, but all devices hooked up to it (wired or wireless) still function. Issue surfaces every time I press the "Reboot" button in the web GUI, and persists with everything I try with exception to factory reset.

Its triggering me. Any idea whats up or how to fix it? New FW bug? Or did I get another lemon? My old rt-ac68u I had... beginning to regret selling it.

Attachments

• System Log.txt
    58.3 KB · Views: 1,140
Last edited:
I am having the same issue. Internet works, but the WAN light is red after reboot. Only can fix it by unplugging my modem and plugging it back in or turning off the led lights in the back with the button and turning back on...

Problem will return on a reboot.

Everything works great, just a red light when it should be blue...

3.0.0.4.382_18219

Last edited:
I am having the same issue. Internet works, but the WAN light is red after reboot. Only can fix it by unplugging my modem and plugging it back in or turning off the led lights in the back with the button and turning back on...

Problem will return on a reboot.

Everything works great, just a red light when it should be blue...

3.0.0.4.382_18219

Glad I'm not the only one. I didn't think to reset/power cycle my modem, though. Version 3.0.0.4.382.18219

I can confirm the problem does not exist with the initial FW from ASUS. I just flashed RT-AC86U_300438211816 to the router and the problem is gone.

Problem is also gone with FW RT-AC86U_3.0.0.4_382_16466 (the FW before the current).

And WOW, the performance of the initial FW is AWFUL! Went from 35 mpbs on speedtest to 3 mbps.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!