What's new

RT-AC86U Wonky Antenna OCD

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dstow

New Around Here
Hi there,

Picked up a brand new AC86U yesterday and works a treat but I couldn't help but notice sometime after setting up the router that the middle antenna seems to be slightly listing to the right. This immediately kicked off my OCD and unscrewed it and re-seated it again to no avail. I even swapped out the other two antenna's and it also seemed to lean on the middle thread.

If I turn the middle antenna around the other way it sits perfectly straight, but have it facing towards me in the default position it looks wonky

Is this normal?

Hi there,

Picked up a brand new AC86U yesterday and works a treat but I couldn't help but notice sometime after setting up the router that the middle antenna seems to be slightly listing to the right. This immediately kicked off my OCD and unscrewed it and re-seated it again to no avail. I even swapped out the other two antenna's and it also seemed to lean on the middle thread.

If I turn the middle antenna around the other way it sits perfectly straight, but have it facing towards me in the default position it looks wonky

Is this normal?

Similar here on a 2020 Vietnam build... very slight lean to the right on the center antenna.

In my experience with Asus, normal would be straight up, but these are not normal times. Demand is up, supply is down... maybe quality control is stressed/relaxed.

I got over it. You mustn't have kids! :)

OE

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with a slight curve, or leaning to left or right, apparently it's normal :)

Oh you meant antennas.

Similar here on a 2020 Vietnam build... very slight lean to the right on the center antenna.

In my experience with Asus, normal would be straight up, but these are not normal times. Demand is up, supply is down... maybe quality control is stressed/relaxed.

I got over it. You mustn't have kids! :)

OE
No thank god, just a bitter single man obsessing over superficial consumer level hardware flaws ;) nevertheless I resent paying full price for a new unit to have a manufacturing defect, but ultimately it doesn't seem to effect performance so I'll guess I'll have to live with it. Still curious why it only seems to be on the centre thread.

For now, I've turned them around to face the opposite way in a rigid tri-erection as intended which alleviates the OCD

I'd be curious to see if anyone else who has a model from 2020 has the same issue?

No thank god, just a bitter single man obsessing over superficial consumer level hardware flaws ;) nevertheless I resent paying full price for a new unit to have a manufacturing defect, but ultimately it doesn't seem to effect performance so I'll guess I'll have to live with it. Still curious why it only seems to be on the centre thread.

For now, I've turned them around to face the opposite way in a rigid tri-erection as intended which alleviates the OCD

I'd be curious to see if anyone else who has a model from 2020 has the same issue?

You could tie a nylon guy wire to it to pull it vertical and call it network engineering! :)

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!