What's new

RT-AC87U WebUI Hangs and no SSH Shell

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thered

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I have an Asus RT-AC87U running Merlin's latest 380.68. Every once in a while, I noticed that the WebUI dies, where it just doesn't connect in the browser (and it hangs when you curl it). I decided to SSH in to restart httpd, but I couldn't get the shell to load. It's able to authenticate (and knows when I type in bad credentials). When I log in, it hangs with the login banner message "ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AC87U 380.68-0 Fri Aug 18 21:40:17 UTC 2017" and no terminal. A reboot fixes this, but after some uptime, it eventually happens over time.

I don't really have any special setup going on, besides having a samba2 share and openvpn running. This is also not specific to this firmware version. It's been happening for a while now.

Apologies if someone posted this already - I searched and didn't see anything similar. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this or if there's a workaround? Let me know how I can provide more info. Thanks!

I am having the same exact issue with AC-68U + Merlin version of 384.14. Internet works fine. Does anyone know what causes this?