What's new

RT-AX56U ethernet backhaul

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dciarnie

Occasional Visitor
I just picked up an RT-AX56U and added it as a node to my existing RT-AC68U and enabled ethernet backhaul. Everything looked good until I noticed a yellow dot beside the RT-AX56U in the AiMesh page. Hovering over the do displays

This router does not support the following feature(s) temporarily. Some configurations might not work as expected. Please regularly check your firmware version is up-to-date.
  • Ethernet backhaul mode.
Updating the firmware was one of the first things I did so it is up-to-date.

Does the RT-AX56U not currently support ethernet backhaul but it's coming?
Have I missed something in the configuration?
I have asuswrt-merlin installed on the RT-AC68U. Could that be a problem?
Am I going to have to swap router and node? I'd prefer not to do that as transferring all the settings will be a PITA.

The most important question is, is the traffic from the wired devices routed through the ethernet cable or wireless? Hopefully the answer is cable.

Any information will be much appreciated.

Last edited:
What I noticed is that people prefer to use AiMesh with the Asus firmware, so you might give it a try.
Good luck.

What I noticed is that people prefer to use AiMesh with the Asus firmware, so you might give it a try.
Good luck.
That is partially the case here. As advised by Merlin elsewhere, I've left the node using the Asus firmware. I need to use asuswrt-merlin on the main router because I'm using an unsupported ddns service.

I just picked up an RT-AX56U and added it as a node to my existing RT-AC68U and enabled ethernet backhaul. Everything looked good until I noticed a yellow dot beside the RT-AX56U in the AiMesh page. Hovering over the do displays

This router does not support the following feature(s) temporarily. Some configurations might not work as expected. Please regularly check your firmware version is up-to-date.
  • Ethernet backhaul mode.
Updating the firmware was one of the first things I did so it is up-to-date.

Does the RT-AX56U not currently support ethernet backhaul but it's coming?
Have I missed something in the configuration?
I have asuswrt-merlin installed on the RT-AC68U. Could that be a problem?
Am I going to have to swap router and node? I'd prefer not to do that as transferring all the settings will be a PITA.

The most important question is, is the traffic from the wired devices routed through the ethernet cable or wireless? Hopefully the answer is cable.

Any information will be much appreciated.

Hi, for what it is worth, I have an RT-AX56U as an aimesh node with ethernet backhaul and working flawlessly with my main router RT-AXC88U. Both are using Merlin 386.2_2 at the moment (Aimesh 2.0). Note that as of today, there does not exist a 386 'official' firmware for the AX56U, so what you are seeing may be a restriction of the 384 branch (Aimesh 1.0) with the AX56U, this is why my suggestion is to migrate both the main router and the node to the merlin 386 firmware code level.

The version was the problem. The fact that the AX56U's firmware version had a 384 in it did not twig.
I guess the "temporarily" did indeed imply that it was coming but, being the impatient sort that I am, I've updated it to Merlin 386.2_4 and everything now looks good.

Thanks!

Glad you sorted out buddy. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!