What's new

Ethernet Backhaul config

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JulienG

Occasional Visitor
Hello,
All my AI Mesh nodes are connected to an ethernet switch. This switch is connected to my primary router.
I am in the below configuration.
Should I set "Ethernet Backhaul" to Yes in my AI Mesh configuration ?
Thanks

0ffeac96-c66c-40c3-9723-48faccf25085.png

No. Experience has shown that Auto works best. And the switch should be an unmanaged switch.

Edit. Should be leave the slider off.

Hello,
All my AI Mesh nodes are connected to an ethernet switch. This switch is connected to my primary router.
I am in the below configuration.
Thanks

0ffeac96-c66c-40c3-9723-48faccf25085.png

I leave Ethernet Backhaul Mode enabled (all WiFi for client use only; no failover to wireless backhaul)... my wired backhaul is solid and I don't want any AiMesh auto wireless backhaul logic in play... a Gigabit full-duplex wired backhaul is sufficient QoS here... if it has issues, I want to discover them immediately, not automatically reconfigure my network to wireless links that will hide a wired backhaul/LAN issue and that may or may not still be operating as they should have been when the network layout was first commissioned for wireless backhauls.

If you leave wireless backhauls enabled (Ethernet Backhaul Mode disabled), be sure to fully commission your network/layout to work with wireless backhauls in your radio space. You don't want them turning ON for whatever reason and causing new mayhem, especially with a network that is only laid out for wired backhauls (like yours?).

Wireless backhauls to the root node will be listed in the Wireless Log when they turn ON.

OE

Last edited:
My AX88UP is set to ethernet backhaul mode, with the line going through a couple managed switches. You can add wired ports on a managed switch to backhaul that'll be guest vlans, so long as the vlan ID is setup on the main router.

The best setting, from experience, is to leave it Off.

The best setting, from experience, is to leave it Off.
Okay, sure you know better, is there any logic on this? I'll try it.

Turned off wired only on ai-mesh system settings, but left the node management priority set on '1G Wan First'. I have a PC running wired off the same switch the node is on, maybe I'll see some difference. Getting to be a DoE, should try with PC plugged directly into the node instead as well.

The only logic is this:

With only wired AiMesh nodes connected and the setting set to On, the network is flakey, and not reliable.

With only wired AiMesh nodes connected and the setting left Off, the network is stable.

YMMV.

I have configurations with both (Yes and No) settings. I didn't notice any differences in performance.
I haven't done any tests to see if it affects WiFi performance.