What's new

RT-AX58U, OpenVPN Client, how to use

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hollywood

New Around Here
Hi, I am new to this. I would like to describe my setup and hope you can advise me. I am not a networking expert but I can follow guides and instructions,
I have a TP-Link AX11000 as my main router (192.168.0.1)
I just got into a VPN service (PrivateVPN) and see it's advantages for Netflix from another country and privacy.

I bought a RT-AX58U to plug into the main router and want to use it's WiFi to use the VPN when I want to.
I set it up with the OpenVPN Client per the websites instructions with the stock firmware and it worked perfectly (websites show the server location and netflix streams from another country). In the stock firmware it shows under VPN>VPN Client>OpenVPN.

I wanted more features so I loaded Merlin latest stable release. Now there are 2 buttons under VPN>VPN Client>, OpenVPN and PPTP/L2TP. After updating the firmware to Merlin, my VPN shows under the PPTP/L2TP button. Still, the VPN worked properly, but not having networking knowledge, my understanding is that an OpenVPN setup is more secure.

I reset the router to factory and started from scratch (with Merlin) and installed the VPN under the OpenVPN button and everything still works perfect and now there are no references to my connections under the PPTP/L2TP button.

I read a guide on how to setup a policy for a Kill Switch, (192.168.2.0/24 > 0.0.0.0 >Policy Rules > Block) and that worked too.

There are slots for 5 Clients "Select client instance" and that is where I am confused. I have 2 set slots, Los Angeles and Vancouver Canada. Is that what the 5 slots are for? Do you have to deselect one before changing to the other? Both slots have the Kill Switch policy, but even if I turn off one slot and turn on the other, I do not have internet unless I remove the policy on the nonactive slot (client).

Basically I want to be able to choose the server I want to use and I am not sure of the proper usage (best practice) or why the policy seems to block the internet from the client/slot that is now inactive.

Also my bank website does not load while on the VPN. I "tried" to set a policy and got the webpage to load, but the logon button did not appear. Any help would be appreciated, but if you need the bank name I would like to do that through private message.

Thanks in advance!