What's new

Rt-ax58u vs rt-ax92u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ZoltánF

Occasional Visitor
Would like to buy a new router for my house. Thinking on the Asus rt-ax58u model, but now the Asus rt-ax92u is on discount (on sale). So:
1) is the Asus rt-ax58u good choice to step in to the AX era?
2)what is the difference between the two router.

It depends on your personal needs vs your budget.

The RT-AX92U has a better CPU and more RAM, so it will better handle things like router-based VPN, USB sharing, or a very busy network. The RT-AX92U also has a second 5 GHz radio that can provide better performance if you decide to connect another one over AiMesh (giving it a dedicated backhaul).

It depends on your personal needs vs your budget.

The RT-AX92U has a better CPU and more RAM, so it will better handle things like router-based VPN, USB sharing, or a very busy network. The RT-AX92U also has a second 5 GHz radio that can provide better performance if you decide to connect another one over AiMesh (giving it a dedicated backhaul).
Hmm. Maybe i see something wrong but on comparing on asus website they have the same RAM and overall same description

By the way I will use for: 2 smart TV, 3 smartphone, 1 PC, 1 laptop. Hard torrent downloads and uploads (occasionally). Pc gaming rare, mostly phone gaming.

Hmm. Maybe i see something wrong but on comparing on asus website they have the same RAM and overall same description

My bad. For some reason I thought the RT-AX92U has the same amount of RAM as the RT-AX88U.

The RT-AX58U CPU however is definitely slower, and I don't know if it supports hardware accelerated crypto.

EDIT: the RT-AX58U does not have hardware accelerated crypto in its CPU. It uses a BCM6750, which is based on a 32-bit Cortex A7 core - similar to what is in the BCM4709C0 used by the RT-AC88U. The RT-AX92U is a BCM4906, which uses 64-bit Cortex B53 cores.

https://www.broadcom.com/products/wireless/wireless-lan-infrastructure/bcm6750

Knowing Broadcom, I bet this is a dual-core CPU. The third core is probably a dedicated CPU used by the wifi radio. They used to call their tri-band solution "penta core", because it had a dual-core CPU, and each of the three radio also has a low-power CPU core for its own uses.

Last edited:
By the way I will use for: 2 smart TV, 3 smartphone, 1 PC, 1 laptop. Hard torrent downloads and uploads (occasionally). Pc gaming rare, mostly phone gaming.

Depending on the size of this house, even a router in $100 price category may be good enough to cover your needs. Five of your devices don't need AX speeds, the other two probably don't have AX support (and one can be wired, the PC). Why spend more money for something you don't need and can't use anyway? Most ISP provided routers will cover your needs easily.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!