What's new

Rt ax82u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dave781

Occasional Visitor
Hi. I'm new here and could do with some advice pls. I am trying to use a draytek 166 with a asus router. I have established connection with the draytek to the internet. I am on gfast. I have set the asus up with all the relevant ip addresses and the proper bt settings. Pppoe etc and the correct t username and password.
The issue I have is the router wan will not see the draytek or vice versa. If I plug the ethernet cable from my PC into the wan on the asus I can't access the asus. If I plug the same way but connect to the LAN port on the asus I can access the asus.
Same with the draytek , I connect from lan to wan and the draytek pt1 light doesn't light up. Plug into the Lan port on the asus and the pt1 lights up on the draytek. If there a fault with the asus wan port? Is there a known issue with the asus wan port.
Thank you for any advice given.

If I plug the ethernet cable from my PC into the wan on the asus I can't access the asus. If I plug the same way but connect to the LAN port on the asus I can access the asus.

Normal. Why you're plugging your PC to the WAN port to begin with? Read the User Manual. There is a connections diagram on Page 11. Your DrayTek modem/router has to be in Bridge Mode (modem only) if you want your Asus to establish the connection. Will it work or BT requires their own equipment - I don't know. Check the BT forums. Some ISPs don't allow equipment replacement. In this case you have to run your Asus router in Double NAT.

Last edited:
Normal. Why you're plugging your PC to the WAN port to begin with? Read the User Manual. There is a connections diagram on Page 11. Your Drytek modem/router has to be in Bridge Mode (modem only) if you want your Asus to establish the connection. Will it work or BT requires their own equipment - I don't know. Check the BT forums. Some ISPs don't allow equipment replacement. In this case you have to run your Asus router in Double NAT.

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I was actually checking to see if the wan port on the asus was faulty. Draytek is in bridge mode. The settings on the asus are set exactly as BT require and yes I can use other equipment , i our hased the draytek from the bt shop. If I plug from the draytek to the asus there doesn't seem to be a link. Yet if I plug from draytek to any other device then there's a link.

You can see the link status in Asus GUI, main page, WAN port.

Example:

1685222204776.png

Thank you. I will have a check tomorrow. I've never set up a moden and seperate router before so this is all new to me and appreciate the help.

Follow the diagram in the User Guide. It's exactly for modem only and a router.

Follow the diagram in the User Guide. It's exactly for modem only and a router.
Hi. I have and had setup everything the way Asus manual recommends. A few things. The DrayTek is set as 192.168.2.1. I am pretty sure have setup the wan correctly.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-28 at 11.18.55.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-28 at 11.18.55.png
    188.9 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot 2023-05-27 at 16.02.45-min.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-27 at 16.02.45-min.png
    85.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot 2023-05-27 at 16.18.04-min.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-27 at 16.18.04-min.png
    186.7 KB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot 2023-05-27 at 16.18.08-min.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-27 at 16.18.08-min.png
    199.2 KB · Views: 42
Sorry this is missing from the 1st upload

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-28 at 11.31.12.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-28 at 11.31.12.png
    97.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot 2023-05-28 at 11.31.07.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-28 at 11.31.07.png
    137.8 KB · Views: 35
With the modem/router in bridge mode the Asus router needs to be set to get its IP address automatically.

Yes, the WAN IP can't be set to some private fixed IP address. What is 192.168.2.1 there? If this is the DrayTek's LAN IP - it's not in Bridge Mode.

Your RT-AX82U has much newer firmware Asuswrt 388_22525, by the way.

I would use the ISP provided DrayTek modem/router for establishing the connection and run this Asus in double NAT with WAN IP in DrayTek's DMZ. This way the ISP is responsible for the connection and if it doesn't work properly - they have to fix it. It's super easy to setup given the user has access to the ISP provided DrayTek settings and works with no issues in most cases. It also provides some extra layer of security.

Yes, the WAN IP can't be set to some private fixed IP address. What is 192.168.2.1 there? If this is the DrayTek's LAN IP - it's not in Bridge Mode.

Your RT-AX82U has much newer firmware Asuswrt 388_22525, by the way.
OK so this was some advice I had from another forum. All I need is the asus to see the draytek. The draytek is in modem/Bridge. One thing however I don't understand is why the draytek shows up "static ip disconnected" . The picture provided below , is this normal.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230528_171036_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230528_171036_Gallery.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 44
I'm sorry, I see nothing on the picture above.

Thank you. This is what i thought. I am one of those people that's good with my hands , but when I read something I question everything and doubt myself. Hence why I am here asking for help and it's very appreciated.
I have set everything from the draytek user manual as I need to for modem / bridged. I just can't get the router to talk to the modem. Clearly I am doing something wrong In the asus. As you say , the p1 lan port is connected BUT I haven't a connection to the Wan port on the asus. No matter what I do , the 2 will not talk to each other.

Did you change the WAN IP to Automatic on the Asus? Why was there an address 192.168.2.1 as a gateway?

Without changing anything - if you connect a PC to your DrayTek's P1 LAN port do you get Internet access?

Did you change the WAN IP to Automatic on the Asus? Why was there an address 192.168.2.1 as a gateway?

Without changing anything - if you connect a PC to your DrayTek's P1 LAN port do you get Internet access?
I was told to do this before anything else. This was from a guy on the bt forum. Judging by the sound of it , this is wrong.
I'm home shortly so will set the wan ip to automatic and re run everything.

If the answer to the second question above is YES - your DrayTek is NOT in Bridge Mode and acts as a router.

If the answer to the second question above is YES - your DrayTek is NOT in Bridge Mode and acts as a router.
I will have this answer for you shortly. I am pretty sure I do not. Purely because I have set up the draytek for router mode to double make sure I was connecting to the internet. I then have returned to bridge mode. I will update on my findings shortly.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!