What's new

RT-AX82U - 2 clients are connecting through this device

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

smartbits

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I'm using a desktop, which connects to my network via wifi. Today, for the first time, my router is reporting that 2 clients are connecting through this device. I'm not using a virtual machine and the OS is Windows Home, which does not have RDP. I do not have any remote access software installed and as far as I can tell, there's no malware on this PC.

I have read through several threads regarding this issue but I could not find any where someone reported that this occurred on a desktop. I rebooted my PC and the router is reporting the same thing. Does anyone know what the cause is?

You don't need to reset the router. The message will disappear after some time. Usually after DHCP lease renewal. Don't waste your time.

Just check your System Log, DHCP Leases page. Do you see anything unusual there? It's more consistent.

Just check your System Log, DHCP Leases page. Do you see anything unusual there? It's more consistent.

I checked after I noticed that message and everything looks fine but I don't think it would pick up on someone remotely accessing my PC and that's what I was concerned about.

... and when I hover over it, I see ...
I just don't get this "hovering over stuff" with the pointer. How's a person supposed to know, or even guess about such "mystery meat" even existing unless the discovery is totally by accident. I'm just a little miffed by Merlin omitting the text-based port status from the device status/info page "because it's available elsewhere already" (so long as one uses a graphical browser and happens to stumble upon the mouseover required to "find" it...).

@glens? Seriously?

That's Windows 101. Click, Right-Click, Hover... This is how you discover your OS/Program options since 1995 (or earlier!).

Ran Linux/UNIX for work. Boring. I wasn't a wide-eyed teen anymore content with my own awesomeness in being able to get things done via CLI.

Windows makes me much more productive, without banging my fingers needlessly on an unrelenting keyboard. It has been that way for decades now.

Crap is in the eyes of the beholder.

If the desktop has the WiFi connection set up, and is connected via an ethernet connection both connections will be active at once though ethernet will be preferred for data transfer.

banging my fingers needlessly on an unrelenting keyboard
Get a relenting one! IBM Model M is the best, still, though gotta say Lenovo has nicely picked up the Thinkpad torch.

The nubs missing on F and J cause a little grief...

Attachments

• IMG_20240114_031007505.jpg
    IMG_20240114_031007505.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 12
Thinkpads. That's all I use. Everything else is pretty pathetic.