What's new

RT-AX86U and S media bridge mode question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

YS0240

New Around Here
Hi all,

New to the forum,

I have a Gigabit internet service conected to a RT-AX86U router as main which in speedtest can run full ~990Mbps UL and DL, and recently I added a RT-AX86S in media bridge mode for my gaming PC and PS5 in the bedroom, signal strength is stable at -42 to -45dbm, but there's two questions:

1) the linkrate stables at RX and TX 2553 Mbps to 2883 Mbps, while whenever I start to reset router, it can go up to 3Gbps+ but it will soon drop back to 2883 Gbps, was that something in the firmware I can change or what to make it gets highest linkrate? in the log is records it's in 160Mhz channel so isn't in theory it should reach 3-4Gbps with that signal strength?

2) even with the link rate at 2.5Gbps which is the lowest recorded, the actual throughput from speedtest only goes to 860-900 Mbps DL and 650-720 Mbps UL, with the link rate at 2883 Mbps up and 2553Mbps down shouldn't it be able to saturate the gigabit service and cap at 900+? the test are running with no other device using the internet (smart TV powered off, phone turned off wifi).

Thanks for the help

Hi all,

New to the forum,

I have a Gigabit internet service conected to a RT-AX86U router as main which in speedtest can run full ~990Mbps UL and DL, and recently I added a RT-AX86S in media bridge mode for my gaming PC and PS5 in the bedroom, signal strength is stable at -42 to -45dbm, but there's two questions:

1) the linkrate stables at RX and TX 2553 Mbps to 2883 Mbps, while whenever I start to reset router, it can go up to 3Gbps+ but it will soon drop back to 2883 Gbps, was that something in the firmware I can change or what to make it gets highest linkrate? in the log is records it's in 160Mhz channel so isn't in theory it should reach 3-4Gbps with that signal strength?

2) even with the link rate at 2.5Gbps which is the lowest recorded, the actual throughput from speedtest only goes to 860-900 Mbps DL and 650-720 Mbps UL, with the link rate at 2883 Mbps up and 2553Mbps down shouldn't it be able to saturate the gigabit service and cap at 900+? the test are running with no other device using the internet (smart TV powered off, phone turned off wifi).

Thanks for the help
WIFI can be finicky. If you are trying to push 160 MHz my recommendation is don't. Set the 5 GHz to 20, 40, 80, 160 MHz auto channel and enable DFS. Use Dual Band Smart connect. You might try AiMesh instead of Media Bridge. Let the router choose what WIFI it runs best at. The router may switch between 80 and 160 MHz depending upon the clients connected and that is OK and the way my router runs on 5 GHz.

And I would try the opposite too.

Set the band to 160MHz width, reboot the entire network (infrastructure and client devices) and test again.

You may need to move the node closer (sometimes, a few inches is enough).

And I would try the opposite too.

Set the band to 160MHz width, reboot the entire network (infrastructure and client devices) and test again.

You may need to move the node closer (sometimes, a few inches is enough).
Thanks for the advise,

tried Ai mesh with wireless backhaul, it goes even slower and maybe too much wifi (350 sq foot apartment with a few concrete wall corners), now set in the main router 160mhz channel, and channel 40, it kept at -40 to -45dbm signal, MU-MIMO and DL OFDMA onlyl, fun behaviour is that whenever it first boot up, the link rate will shoot up to 3.5gbps to 3.8gbps, only after first hour or so it will throttle back with similar signal strength but link rate back to Rx Tx 2883Mbps exact. looks like some sort of resource management stuff going in the background?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!