What's new

RT-AX86U Best WiFi settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DisneyDriver

New Around Here
Hello there. As title says. Looking for the best settings to reduce latency spikes.

Have merlin firmware installed.

Already chose the best channel, what's next?

1644325108281.png
1644325137707.png
1644325258015.png

Your best bet is to use the WIFI defaults and not use DFS channels. Disable WPS. WPA2/WPA3 Personal is OK.

Your best bet is to use the WIFI defaults and not use DFS channels. Disable WPS. WPA2/WPA3 Personal is OK.
Neighbors are using the lower channels and i'm the only one using DFS, so it's may not be a good idea to have the same channels as my neighbors.
I am trying to optimize the 5Ghz network for gaming, so ping spikes are not acceptable to me.
Ping from router to my PC:
1644326357548.png

Neighbors are using the lower channels and i'm the only one using DFS, so it's may not be a good idea to have the same channels as my neighbors.
I am trying to optimize the 5Ghz network for gaming, so ping spikes are not acceptable to me.
Ping from router to my PC:
View attachment 39343

If you want to experiment, try these settings to see what you get:

n/ac/ax mixed
80 MHz bw
control ch 149-161 (no DFS)

May not improve your ping results but should avoid DFS processing.

OE

He appears to be in the EU or UK in which case those channels are not available.

Thanks!

OP: Use any set of non-DFS channels that permit 80 MHz bandwidth.

OE

OP: Use any set of non-DFS channels that permit 80 MHz bandwidth.
There is only one 80 MHz wide non-DFS channel group available for EU routers, 36-48. And of course those channels are always heavily used by neighbours. The EU model of the RT-AX86U also outputs significantly less power on channels 36-64 compared to 100+.

However, selecting a fixed bandwidth of 80MHz for 5GHz is a very good idea because it stops potential glitches from acsd periodically changing the bandwidth.

There is only one 80 MHz wide non-DFS channel group available for EU routers, 36-48. And of course those channels are always heavily used by neighbours. The EU model of the RT-AX86U also outputs significantly less power on channels 36-64 compared to 100+.

However, selecting a fixed bandwidth of 80MHz for 5GHz is a very good idea because it stops potential glitches from acsd periodically changing the bandwidth.

Thanks, I'm learning from your posts.

I suppose less Tx power cuts both ways... weaker neighbor WiFi but weaker own connection. I suspect the OP has it figured already using the DFS channels.

OE

I suppose less Tx power cuts both ways... weaker neighbor WiFi but weaker own connection.
The same does not necessarily apply to the neighbours (unless they're using exactly the same model of router). For example, my old RT-AC68U actually outputs more power than the RT-AX86U on the lower bands.

The same does not necessarily apply to the neighbours (unless they're using exactly the same model of router). For example, my old RT-AC68U actually outputs more power than the RT-AX86U on the lower bands.

'Assuming all things are created equal' only gets me into more trouble with WiFi! :)

OE

@OzarkEdge @ColinTaylor
Thanks, but 160Mhz is required to get my full ISP plan over Wi-Fi... (1000mbps)
"However, selecting a fixed bandwidth of 80MHz for 5GHz is a very good idea because it stops potential glitches from acsd periodically changing the bandwidth." can you explain why there is a need for fixed bandwidth?

"However, selecting a fixed bandwidth of 80MHz for 5GHz is a very good idea because it stops potential glitches from acsd periodically changing the bandwidth." can you explain why there is a need for fixed bandwidth?
"because it stops potential glitches from acsd periodically changing the bandwidth".

@OzarkEdge @ColinTaylor
Thanks, but 160Mhz is required to get my full ISP plan over Wi-Fi... (1000mbps)

I was only suggesting to experiment for ping results. I trust you have other requirements to meet.

I can't explain much but I will note that with bandwidth fixed, say to 160 MHz, lessor clients still connect at their lessor bandwidths.

OE

@DisneyDriver, how did you 'already choose the best channel'?

"because it stops potential glitches from acsd periodically changing the bandwidth".
What should I see in the system log when it happens?
I was only suggesting to experiment for ping results. I trust you have other requirements to meet.

I can't explain much but I will note that with bandwidth fixed, say to 160 MHz, lessor clients still connect at their lessor bandwidths.

OE
Also with automatic, I don't think there is any different..
@DisneyDriver, how did you 'already choose the best channel'?
I chose the channel that none of my neighbors use

What should I see in the system log when it happens?
I can't remember the exact message because I always use a fixed channel and bandwidth. Look for messages that say the "channel spec" or "chanspec" has changed. But if you've not got any neighbours on the same channels you'll likely never see it. OTOH you could be bounced to a completely different channel if the router detects radar interference.

Last edited:
@DisneyDriver, if you used an 'app' to decide that, it may not be the most ideal channel for your router/devices.

I would be testing each channel available (with the top 2 or 3 for an extended time), keep good notes, then decide which channel is actually better, overall, for your use today. No 'app' is required.

Be sure you are rebooting after each channel change (and bandwidth change, if you're also testing that too).

The purpose of the above is to find the best channel not only for your router/devices but also the channel with the least interference from non-WiFi sources (which no 'app' can show) in your network environment too. When you do the above and pick the channel that actually proves to be the best, overall, the network will feel faster, even if the ping numbers may not show the improvements felt.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!