What's new

RT-AX86U bricked after update Version 3.0.0.4.386.48377

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Here you go

Attachments

• E08DC74B-EFEA-4DAF-A757-A34D338089A7.jpeg
    E08DC74B-EFEA-4DAF-A757-A34D338089A7.jpeg
    75.5 KB · Views: 172
  • 4646540B-5864-4AD5-960E-3D15ECC6EC2C.jpeg
    4646540B-5864-4AD5-960E-3D15ECC6EC2C.jpeg
    144.6 KB · Views: 179
404 page error for download (Driver & Tool), Pulled?
One page/Tab has the new firmware listed, the other (Bios & Firmware) does not, no consistency.

ASUS AX86 page error1.JPGASUS AX86 page error2JPG.JPG
ASUS AX86 page error1.JPG
ASUS AX86 page error2JPG.JPG

some update guys,
you were all right about this firmware bricking ax86u/s.
I think this update is not even for the AX86U model, I think ASUS is messed up big time!
So I checked right now the system log file, and I was shocked I found that the AX86U was about to die if I wasn't checked the log file today.
there was so many kernel errors like dozens of messages spammed every second all night from yesterday (like every sec 24/7)
thank god I reverted back and manually re-flashed the router with the previous firmware. o_Oo_Oo_O

Last edited:
Some got lucky :) Again. I had a simple standard home-use setup, no fancy settings or tweaks.
Lessons learned: don't do a OTA app update but use ethernet and the webGUI
Mine was bricked after an ethernet update, not OTA, so it doesnt matter.
Seems this is a major bungle on ASUS’s part.
My router is in RMA process, returned it to the store this morning. :/

some update guys,
you were all right about this firmware bricking ax86u/s.
I think this update is not even for the AX86U model, I think ASUS is messed up big time!
So I checked right now the system log file, and I was shocked I found that the AX86U was about to die if I wasn't checked the log file today.
there was so many kernel errors like dozens of messages spammed every second all night from yesterday (like every sec 24/7)
thank god I reverted back and manually re-flashed the router with the previous firmware. o_Oo_Oo_O
How do you know it was about to die?

I think the issue is with OTA. Myself and others that downloaded the file haven't had issues in this and other thread it seems or are there people that got bricked using manual update?

I think the issue is with OTA. Myself and others that downloaded the file haven't had issues in this and other thread it seems or are there people that got bricked using manual update?
Has anyone done OTA (Via the app?) on the AX86U and had no issues?

It's looking like that's the culprit at the minute.

I don’t know, but after i saw the system log is spamming kernel errors every sec for all night it kinda freak me out so I manually downloaded and flashed the previous version..
also first i tried to reboot router and mesh system to see if the errors are gone but then the AX86U not finding the aimesh nodes so i went and flashed the previous firmware.

How do you know it was about to die?
I don’t know, but after i saw the system log is spamming kernel errors every sec for all night it kinda freaked me out so I went and manually downloaded and flashed the previous version..
also first i tried to reboot router and mesh system to see if the errors are gone but then the AX86U not finding the aimesh nodes so i went and flashed the previous firmware.

Sorry that some had problems with this update. I was able to do a successful flash, from an Ethernet connected PC, and manual configure. The router seemed to be working as it should but I was having issues with the WEB GUI when I changed a setting. Firefox was wanting to resend the data. I have not seen that before. Having saved the settings from the prior Merlin 386.5_2 I was able to easily go back.
Having some health issues I feel there are some advantages, for family protection, to have Auto Update enabled should something happen to me. Having passed the three score and fifteen mark today I have lived longer than all the male members of my fathers family since they came over in 1893.

Sorry that some had problems with this update. I was able to do a successful flash, from an Ethernet connected PC, and manual configure. The router seemed to be working as it should but I was having issues with the WEB GUI when I changed a setting. Firefox was wanting to resend the data. I have not seen that before. Having saved the settings from the prior Merlin 386.5_2 I was able to easily go back.
Having some health issues I feel there are some advantages, for family protection, to have Auto Update enabled should something happen to me. Having passed the three score and fifteen mark today I have lived longer than all the male members of my fathers family since they came over in 1893.
I had the exact same behavior on Firefox with this firmware.
(also came from Merlin 386.5_2)

I notice that 48377 can still be found on the US website:

1649773559093.png

OE

Anyone successfully recover from this bad flash? My rt-ax86u is out of warranty and so not RMA'able as far as I know. I didn't try the update and don't have the problem but I'm wondering, how does one switch between the alternate boot and image partitions on this router? Seems like it has them, see below.

I've seen posts that say to repeatably reset the router right after boot and eventually it will switch. Is that how its done and would this address this bad flash situation?

Code:
mtd0
Name:                           rootfs
Type:                           nand
Eraseblock size:                131072 bytes, 128.0 KiB
Amount of eraseblocks:          760 (99614720 bytes, 95.0 MiB)

mtd1
Name:                           rootfs_update

mtd4
Name:                           image

mtd5
Name:                           image_update

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!