What's new

Run Static ARP Entries Daily

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

godsplague

New Around Here
Hello

I am not very fluent with linux but I have been trying to do some research on setting static arp entries. I am trying to be able to wake my pc at home when I am at the office or elsewhere. I can wake it just fine if I am on my local network and log in to the router and send it a magic packet.

If I'm researching in the right direction my issue lies with having a static arp entry for the machine I want to wake. I used telnet to get into the router and created the static arp entry and managed to get it to wake from the office, but as I've read when the router reboots it loses the arp entry. I was hoping someone might be able to link me to some fairly basic instructions on how to get a script going to add my arp entry at reboot. Or any other suggestions/concerns are welcomed.

Thanks

What command have you been using so far? I wouldn't have thought that you would need the ARP table entries unless the target device was not on the local subnet (or you don't know its MAC address).

Try this from the router (assuming your network is 192.168.1.x):
Code:
ether-wake -b 192.168.1.255 -i br0 xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
Where xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx is the MAC address.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/remote-wol.10805/#post-66751

Hello

I am not very fluent with linux but I have been trying to do some research on setting static arp entries. I am trying to be able to wake my pc at home when I am at the office or elsewhere. I can wake it just fine if I am on my local network and log in to the router and send it a magic packet.

If I'm researching in the right direction my issue lies with having a static arp entry for the machine I want to wake. I used telnet to get into the router and created the static arp entry and managed to get it to wake from the office, but as I've read when the router reboots it loses the arp entry. I was hoping someone might be able to link me to some fairly basic instructions on how to get a script going to add my arp entry at reboot. Or any other suggestions/concerns are welcomed.

Thanks
Hi,
check this one ... http://www.snbforums.com/threads/port-fodwarding-for-wake-on-lan-problems.26771/#post-201913

What command have you been using so far? I wouldn't have thought that you would need the ARP table entries unless the target device was not on the local subnet (or you don't know its MAC address).

Try this from the router (assuming your network is 192.168.1.x):
Code:
ether-wake -b 192.168.1.255 -i br0 xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
Where xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx is the MAC address.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/remote-wol.10805/#post-66751
... pretty sure that he is looking for "arp -s" command to be put into service_start script .... that way, you can also wake-up the device from internet, not only via the router itself.

Yes to be more precise I'm trying to wake my pc from a completely different network. If I'm at home I can log in to my router to send the magic packet to wake it successfully. I have port 9 forwarded to the static ip address assigned for the pc I am trying to wake. Is this the service start script you speak of? /jffs/scripts/services-start and I should be able to just add the arp -s IP MAC to it so it will run at every router reboot, correct?

Created the services-start script based off the custom script info I found on github. Will try it out tomorrow to see.

Last edited:
Yes to be more precise I'm trying to wake my pc from a completely different network. If I'm at home I can log in to my router to send the magic packet to wake it successfully. I have port 9 forwarded to the static ip address assigned for the pc I am trying to wake. Is this the service start script you speak of? /jffs/scripts/services-start and I should be able to just add the arp -s IP MAC to it so it will run at every router reboot, correct?

Created the services-start script based off the custom script info I found on github. Will try it out tomorrow to see.

Yes, absolutely ; if you do it right, it will work, has been working for me for months now ....(and I also use Teamviewer)
Cheers,
GS

N.B: I noticed that when you go on the GUI and tick a new 380.87 feature that is called "IP MAC Binding" or something like that, it clears-up the ARP cache .... so, I deducted that if I want to be sure my devices get arp static, I should run the arp -s statements via a cronjob (let's say every 1 hour) ...

Last edited:
Is there somewhere a guide on how to do this ? i need the static arp setup for wake on wan. my problem is that after 30 min or so, i cant wake anything from outside my network.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!