What's new

Any method to get ASUS RT-AX55 to retain static arp table?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

YTH

New Around Here
Trying to wake up my NAS over the internet. Discover that my router ASUS RT-AX55 don;t seems to be able to keep arp table permanently. Is there a work around? Thanks.

WOW (Wake On WAN) is not a common feature, and I'm not sure ARP tables even come into play here. WOL works by sending a "Magic Packet" to a MAC address, so WOW either needs to use a relay/server or for the device to be in a very low power state rather than off. So maybe some more details are needed!

Have wake up the NAS via WOW successfully. Unfortunately, need to reset the router before it will work! And it work only once thereafter. So, believe the port forwarding is working, but somehow the arp table seems not permanent. Believe need to find a way to make the arp table permanent. Something like

arp -s "IP address" "mac address"

Unfortunately, unable to find a way to do this on ASUS RT-AX55 router. Help or advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

This is a known problem that has been discussed in these forums recently. You either need to wait and see if Asus fixes the problem or use one of the suggested workarounds, e.g.:

Manage to get to the router via telnet. Used command "arp -s IP adresss MAC address". Everything seem fine now as long as the router don't get reset or power down. Will monitor. This is good enough for now. Might get a cron script later. Thanks.

Better and safer way is to use a VPN to access the router then do WOL. Opening ports is a good way to invite hackers in.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!