What's new

Running a VM on a host that is connected to a VPN.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TanyaC

Regular Contributor
My host PC is Windows 10 1809. At login it connects to NordVPN. It's "Always on". This PC connects to a file server for a home website, cold fusion and WSUS, and to a PC running Kodi using MySQL.

The host PC is somewhat hardened (Hosts file, firewall rules, adjusted services, registry updates etc)

I have installed VMWare on the host PC. I have created a VM with Windows 10 1809.

However, I have not connected this VM to either the server (mapped the drives), and Kodi is not installed. The same firewall, hosts file, services and registry hardening is applied. this VM has nothing installed except Blizzard's Battle.net and Hearthstone.

I am aware of the graphics limitations of VMs for gaming, and am willing to sacrifice the performance for security. Hearthstone is not that heavy on resources.

My question is when I run the VM does it honor the hosts VPN connection and send all data out through the VPN, or does it bypass the VPN and send data out unencrypted/unprotected? Part 2 of the question is while the VM is running are applications running on the host still routing through the VPN or are they now blown and sending over an open internet?

Is there any software that I can use to check this?

I have done no router configuration or tweaked any network settings on the VM. The Host IP address is on 192.168.1. The VM is on 192.168.11 and has the host PCs IP address as the gateway.

thanks

Last edited:
Run traceroute from your VM, you will see which route it takes (through the VPN or not).

Thanks for your reply. I tried that - Tracert to any destination just replies with "Request Timed Out".