What's new

Samba issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ricostuart

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

Just purchased a 68U and already installed latest Merlin build firmware. I have setup SAMBA shares (have a 32GB USB key installed running EXT2 partition). I have renamed the SAMBA share to be "Router". However, for some reason, it will not show up in the correct format, but rather "router". I changed the name again, but SAMBA keeps ignoring the case.

I have SSH'd into the unit and checked the smb.conf file to confirm it is correct (which it is).

Any ideas are welcome. I do like all network devices to show correctly. :)

Does any other name work properly capitalized? 'Router' may be a reserved name?

Hi,

All other network devices are formatted correctly and showing correctly.

I have 2 macbook airs showing, 1 ReadyNAS server, xbox, phones, etc etc all showing correctly. The only one being stubborn so far is the router.

Did you try a name other than 'Router'?

Just a wild guess; is the Ext2 format limiting the naming in any way?

I will change the card to a different formating (FAT32 probably) and will give that a go over the next day or two. Hopefully it is that simple! :D

Thanks very much! :D

It's possible that Samba automatically changes share names to be lower case. You will have to check the Samba documentation to see if that's the case (personally I don't know).

Probably the same problem here with my new AC68U.

Samba share does not show up on LAN any longer. As far I remember, worked some days ago before flashing and/or connecting second USB device. I have not changed the device name, still runnig "RT-AC68U".

Replugging the devices or moving to official ASUS firmware did not solve the problem (including factory defaults).

Maybe there is an 'old' config file or link left on the device, which raises the troubles... Sorry, I am not a real expert at the moment, my Linux experience is somehow "historical" :) ...

Best wishes

Alex

Just played in the meantime, access to share via IP address is possible. Looks like a problem in name service. I remember some years ago there was a requirement in order (dns, wins, ...) in some samba config file.

To ricostuart: is the share accessible or browsable through the Ip-Adress? e.g. //192.168.2.1 (replace correct address)

Best wishes

Just played in the meantime, access to share via IP address is possible. Looks like a problem in name service. I remember some years ago there was a requirement in order (dns, wins, ...) in some samba config file.

To ricostuart: is the share accessible or browsable through the Ip-Adress? e.g. //192.168.2.1 (replace correct address)

Best wishes

It's possible that your current Browser Master is on a firewalled machine. Try enabling the option to force the router to become the Master Browser, under USB -> Servers Center -> Misc.