What's new

scMerlin scMerlin 2.5.2 - Service and script control menu for Asuswrt-Merlin, April 22, 2024

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thelonelycoder

Part of the Furniture
This is a continuation of the previous thread here.

What's new in scMerlin 2.5.0
-This is a fork by @thelonelycoder. Existing installations will show an extra menu entry in amtm to use this fork, new installation use it by default if installed through amtm. Thanks to @Martinski for the updates. Use the SSH UI to update scMerlin after running the shown command.
- This fork is a modified version of the development branch by @Jack Yaz that never reached the master status due to lack of time or interest of the original developer. It is hosted on GitHub by @decoderman, aka thelonelycoder.

Edit: Adding release notes by @Martinski for the 2.4.1 develop version which 2.5.0 is based on:
1) NEW code to support AXE-class Tri-Band & Quad-Band routers (e.g. GT-AXE11000, GT-AXE16000) when reporting temperatures on the webGUI & CLI menus.
2) FIXED issue in webGUI with WiFi radios & CPU temperature values not being shown in some router models after the "386.7_2" release version.
3) FIXED issue where some webGUI elements (SiteMap & pop-ups) were left behind after uninstalling the add-on.

Last edited:
Not quite sure what state I'm in or where I am.
I used j3u to update something, not sure what.
But amtm says
Code:
 j3 open     scMerlin      2.4.1     -> 2.5.0

And when I do 'Check' on version information on the scMerlin GUI page I get this in syslog.

Code:
10-Mar 18:25:45 AX rc_service: httpd 2421:notify_rc start_scmerlincheckupdate
10-Mar 18:25:45 AX custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: start scmerlincheckupdate)
10-Mar 18:25:46 AX scMerlin: 404 error detected - stopping update

And when I do 'Check' on version information on the scMerlin GUI page I get this in syslog.
Did you read what amtm said after you entered j3u?
It says:
Code:
Now you can use the update function in
scMerlin to update to the latest version.
And for gods sake, use the SSH UI, not the webUI. You're in it while doing it.

Did you read what amtm said after you entered j3u?
Yes, but then I tried j3 + uf and lots of stuff got downloaded.

but amtm + u still shows
j3 open scMerlin 2.4.1 -> 2.5.0

This is a continuation of the previous thread here.

What's new in scMerlin 2.5.0
-This is a fork by @thelonelycoder. Existing installations will show an extra menu entry in amtm to use this fork, new installation use it by default if installed through amtm. Thanks to @Martinski for the updates. Use the SSH UI to update scMerlin after running the shown command.
- This fork is a modified version of the development branch by @Jack Yaz that never reached the master status due to lack of time or interest of the original developer. It is hosted on GitHub by @decoderman, aka thelonelycoder.
I was also unable to update scMerlin from 2.4.0 to 2.5.0 :
1710096193460.png

1710096247451.png

Ah.. OK, sorted

Easiest workaround is to uninstall and reinstall.
This is what I did…but I’m unsure if I should activate the dnsmasq option or leave it as-is. After my first coffee, when I’m firing on all cylinders

I also had to do the uninstall/install to update from 2.4.1. And yes, I switched by using j3u in amtm.

The other Addons disappeared from the addon from the GUI also. Did uninstall / install also upgraded to AMTM 4.4 since I was there

1710116515902.png

Mappings got wiped/overwritten

1710116654486.png

1710116843967.png

1710119604176.png

Fortunately, BACKUPMON on the nodes and router, not really sure what to restore, and if would fix the mapping anyway, or whether I should unistall/install (reinstall update, doesn't fix it) each script to rebuild the mapping, or just call it a day and start from scratch on all three devices 🤷‍♂️ Even if I could/did restore the mappings, would installing the new SCMerlin leave me in the same place 🤷‍♂️
On the bright side, I know what I'm doing next week :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The other Addons disappeared from the addon from the GUI also. Did uninstall / install also upgraded to AMTM 4.4 since I was there

View attachment 57092

View attachment 57093
View attachment 57094
View attachment 57098

Fortunately, BACKUPMON on the nodes and router, not really sure what to restore, and if would fix the mapping anyway, or whether I should unistall/install (reinstall update, doesn't fix it) each script to rebuild the mapping, or just call it a day and start from scratch on all three devices 🤷‍♂️ Even if I could/did restore the mappings, would installing the new SCMerlin leave me in the same place 🤷‍♂️
On the bright side, I know what I'm doing next week :rolleyes:

Maybe all is not lost. The User#.ASP files are still there all 1-4, now how to update the Mapping to get them back in without having to resort to drastic measures :rolleyes:

Maybe all is not lost. The User#.ASP files are still there all 1-4, now how to update the Mapping to get them back in without having to resort to drastic measures :rolleyes:
Uninstall (saving config), and reinstall.

Uninstall (saving config), and reinstall.
Unistall? What exactly? Already did that to get SCmerlin 2.5.0, upon unstall just SCMerlin was impacted, then the install and BOOM An uninstall just removed addons from the GUI.
Maybe restore from BAKUPMON the /www directory as the files seem to be all there (best way to do that if even possible @Viktor Jaep ?) . If I only could update what's related to the sitemap :rolleyes:

For a period of time, I've been paying attention to the fact that the temperature function in scMerlin has not been working properly, which started me thinking about why it took so long to fix such a small feature. Through reading many discussion threads, I gradually came to understand the uncertain nature of each contributor's available time, as well as the challenges posed by compatibility between old and new versions and software dependencies. This indeed made integration extremely complex and challenging. Despite these difficulties, the predecessors persevered tirelessly, and finally we welcomed the long-awaited return of the temperature function. 👍

1710123153322.png

Unistall? What exactly? Already did that to get SCmerlin 2.5.0, upon unstall just SCMerlin was impacted, then the install and BOOM An uninstall just removed addons from the GUI.
Maybe restore from BAKUPMON the /www directory as the files seem to be all there (best way to do that if even possible @Viktor Jaep ?) . If I only could update what's related to the sitemap :rolleyes:

Out of my wheelhouse unfortunately. The only way to be sure everything is put back in their rights spots is to do a full restore.

Do you know if this same problem also happens with the previous "2.4.1" version from @Jack Yaz's 'develop' branch? I'm curious about whether or not this is a new problem with the "2.5.0" version.

As others have already stated, the best way is to uninstall & reinstall each add-on.

However, if you're willing to give it a try, there's another way to "clean up" the current webGUI "mounts" and then restart fresh with new mounts while still keeping the current scripts & configuration files.

Now, full disclosure: I've never done this for all the installed add-ons at once. I have done this procedure at separate times for YazFi, YazDHCP & scMerlin when I'm debugging changes to the HTML/JavaScript code and want to test/verify without doing a full uninstall & reinstall of the add-on.

First, log out from the webGUI; then run the following routine from an SSH terminal window:
Bash:
_CleanupMountsWebGUI_()
{
   _DoUnmount_()
   {
      if [ -n "$(grep "$1" /proc/mounts)" ]
      then echo "Unmounting [$1]..." ; umount  "$1" ; fi
   }
   _DoUnmount_ /www/state.js
   _DoUnmount_ /www/index_style.css
   _DoUnmount_ /www/require/modules/menuTree.js
   rm -f /tmp/state.js /tmp/index_style.css /tmp/menuTree.js
   for num in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
   do rm -f /www/user/user$num.asp /www/user/user$num.title ; done
}
_CleanupMountsWebGUI_

Now, reboot the router:
Bash:
/sbin/service reboot
Then log back into the webGUI to verify. If this does not work, then uninstall all add-ons and reinstall starting with scMerlin first.

HTH

I see that upgrading v2.4.1 from the develop branch to my fork 2.5.0 cannot work without more heavily modifying the installed script. A remove and reinstall through amtm is the only option at the moment. I doubt I will invest the time to correct the (maybe intentional) coding mistakes in the original develop branch.

However, upgrading a stable/master v2.4.0 installation to 2.5.0 works just as I intended in amtm.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!