What's new

Help with creating Virtual Networks using my GT-AX11000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

davekstl

Regular Contributor
I need help\advise on creating secondary networks on my present configuration. Or if need be, what do I need to do to upgrade?
I have 45 devices running at any point in time. Laptops, cell phones, tvs, home IOT items and multiple security cameras.
I want to be able to isolate devices by need on their own network by priority. Example, security on it’s own network, tvs, etc.
Many of these devices are wired, like tvs, printer and others wireless like security and IoTs.
Can I do this by placing a Managed Switch between the router for wired devices? Can I use the separate guest network settings for each Node for security and wifi connections? It there a way to create Virutal netowrks on my system for both wired and wifi?
Thanks

1703614285237.png

I need help\advise on creating secondary networks on my present configuration. Or if need be, what do I need to do to upgrade?
I have 45 devices running at any point in time. Laptops, cell phones, tvs, home IOT items and multiple security cameras.
I want to be able to isolate devices by need on their own network by priority. Example, security on it’s own network, tvs, etc.
Many of these devices are wired, like tvs, printer and others wireless like security and IoTs.
Can I do this by placing a Managed Switch between the router for wired devices? Can I use the separate guest network settings for each Node for security and wifi connections? It there a way to create Virutal netowrks on my system for both wired and wifi?
Thanks

View attachment 55120
You are on the right track. The difficult part is getting wireless devices and wired devices on the same subnet if they are in different locations.

If you go the route of using smart switches you probably are going to need to run 802.1Q VLANs which requires a smart switch at both ends of the backhaul link but then you have the ability to run multiple VLANs on a single Ethernet cable and perhaps multiple APs with one for each VLAN group that you want to be able to communicate.

The simplest solution might be to get a router that will let you run Tomato with a VLAN for each LAN port and also to create virtual APs each of which can be associated with a particular VLAN subnet.

For someone to recommend a simple solution is probably going to require that you post a network diagram showing which devices you want to be on the same VLAN, which devices use WiFi, and which devices you want to be isolated.

You are on the right track. The difficult part is getting wireless devices and wired devices on the same subnet if they are in different locations.

If you go the route of using smart switches you probably are going to need to run 802.1Q VLANs which requires a smart switch at both ends of the backhaul link but then you have the ability to run multiple VLANs on a single Ethernet cable and perhaps multiple APs with one for each VLAN group that you want to be able to communicate.

The simplest solution might be to get a router that will let you run Tomato with a VLAN for each LAN port and also to create virtual APs each of which can be associated with a particular VLAN subnet.

For someone to recommend a simple solution is probably going to require that you post a network diagram showing which devices you want to be on the same VLAN, which devices use WiFi, and which devices you want to be isolated.

I am using ASUS Routers now. Is there a router that would simplify what I am trying to do?
In response to your suggestion of a network map, is there an example of what I need to create and how detailed? 45~47 devices is a lot of info, but I will do that if that helps me.
Thanks
Dave

I am using ASUS Routers now. Is there a router that would simplify what I am trying to do?
In response to your suggestion of a network map, is there an example of what I need to create and how detailed? 45~47 devices is a lot of info, but I will do that if that helps me.
Thanks
Dave
You don't need to show every device but instead show what you want to connect do in each location by class of device and if it will be WiFi or Ethernet and what devices need to be accessible from another location.

What you want may not be simple so the more details you provide the more likely it is someone will come up with a solution.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!