What's new

Setting a random password for guest wifi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Did you change your forum name?

I don't know what you mean, it has nothing to do with this forum or my name. I meant the webserver I use to host the file... our admin changed some things and therefore the old link didn't work anymore.

I don't know what you mean, it has nothing to do with this forum or my name. I meant the webserver I use to host the file... our admin changed some things and therefore the old link didn't work anymore.

I am asking about your forum name here.

Is this you in the original post?

I was going to post this directly here, but I must have too many code tags so it wouldn't let me.

As such, I have posted on the wiki on how to do this :

Setting a random password for guest wifi

Enjoy!

edit : following comments on this thread, I have added a couple of alternate functions that provide different ways of creating a random password. getrandopenssl uses the openssl rand option, and getpasswdme uses curl to access the https://passwd.me api. These may require additional software to be installed over & above the default busy box installation.

No, that was me - I put together the original scripts to randomise the password. The downloads from JanOonk are (I believe) the android files to allow you to run the script on demand :)

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I don't know a lot about using sendmail with Gmail. Here's my output:

Code:
depth=3 C = US, O = Equifax, OU = Equifax Secure Certificate Authority
verify return:1
depth=2 C = US, O = GeoTrust Inc., CN = GeoTrust Global CA
depth=1 C = US, O = Google Inc, CN = Google Internet Authority G2
depth=0 C = US, ST = California, L = Mountain View, O = Google Inc, CN = smtp.gmail.com
250 SMTPUTF8
sendmail:  failed

I added my email address to the beginning of the script, was I supposed to change the one that says "login@gmail.com" too?

I've added my own email address and password to FROM, AUTH, PASS and TO. It's doing the same thing. I've added the "-v" flag, and removed "-quiet" and this is the output:

Code:
sendmail: send:'NOOP'
depth=3 C = US, O = Equifax, OU = Equifax Secure Certificate Authority
depth=2 C = US, O = GeoTrust Inc., CN = GeoTrust Global CA
depth=1 C = US, O = Google Inc, CN = Google Internet Authority G2
depth=0 C = US, ST = California, L = Mountain View, O = Google Inc, CN = smtp.gmail.com
sendmail: recv:'CONNECTED(00000004)'
sendmail: SMTP init failed

I've added my own email address and password to FROM, AUTH, PASS and TO. It's doing the same thing. I've added the "-v" flag, and removed "-quiet" and this is the output:

Have you taken into consideration the below?:

Gmail requires the secure certificate to be installed in /jffs/configs/ - if you haven't got this, check the following post as the wget command referred to on the wiki doesn't work :

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=149473&postcount=95

I have an ASUS RT-AC66U with FW 380.59. I enabled one 2.4GHz guest wifi with password-A. I connect with SSH and
nvram show | grep password-A
and it gives back
wl0.1_wpa_psk=password-A
Then I enter this:
nvram set w10.1_wpa_psk=password-B
service wireless_restart

... and nothing happens.
Weird thing is if I grep for password-A and password-B I find both set to w10.1_wpa_psk. And if I look at the GUI, the old pwd is shown.

2-step verification is not enabled on my account.
Yesterday I was able to send e-mail with 2-step verification enabled and one device password generated in Google Account Security page (and of course that pwd was used as $2 with the script).
I used this script.
Code:
#!/bin/sh
#
#
# This script will send an email using a Gmail account through an openssl session.
#
# Version 1.0
# December 23, 2015
#
#
# Note: you must turn ON "Access for less secure apps" in the Gmail settings:
# https://www.google.com/settings/security/lesssecureapps
# I therefore recommend you create a separate Gmail account just for your router.
#
#
# Usage: ./sendgmail.sh login password recipient subject message
#
#
# (and some patience... it takes less than 10 seconds)
#
# login     : the Gmail login you created for the router
#
# password  : the Gmail password (best to enclose in quotes "" in case there are any spaces)
#
# recipient : email address of recipient
#
# subject   : subject of email (best to enclose in quotation marks "" since any spaces will
#             be misinterpreted as the start for the next parameter)
#
# message   : body of email (enclose in quotation marks "" and do not start any lines with a dot!).
#             You can pipe a file like this: ./sendgmail.sh ... "$(cat yourfilehere)" (you
#             have to use quotes otherwise any space is treated as the next parameter).
#             You can also include escape characters (like new line \n) by using $'some\nmessage'
#             as the message parameter (note the dollar sign and single quotes).
#
#
# Examples of usage :
#
# Send a simple message from command line:
# ./sendgmail.sh randomemail@gmail.com secretpassword recipient@gmail.com "Cool subject" "Nice body (of email)"
#
# Send a message with some new line feeds \n in body:
# ./sendgmail.sh randomemail@gmail.com secretpassword recipient@gmail.com "Cool subject" $'Nice body\n(of email)'
#
# Send a message from command line but read email body from a text file called "body.txt":
# ./sendgmail.sh randomemail@gmail.com secretpassword recipient@gmail.com "Cool subject" "$(cat body.txt)"
#
# And for this one, see notes below for explanation:
# read login passwd <credentials.txt ; ./sendgmail.sh $login $passwd recipient@gmail.com "some subject" "$(cat body.txt)"
#
#
# Note: as you can see from the syntax, it's not a very secure way to use this command as it requires
# you to put your login and password in plain text.  However, you can create a credentials file (such
# as "credentials.txt"), put your plain text login and password separated by a space on the first
# line, and give it read/write permission for root only (chmod 600 credentials.txt).  Then use this
# syntax to call the script:
# read login passwd <credentials.txt ; ./sendgmail.sh $login $passwd ...
#
#
# Warning: this is a very basic script that does not check for errors.  If something goes wrong,
# Try commenting out the "-quiet > /dev/null 2>&1" at the end of the openssl command to maybe
# see what's going on.  This shouldn't really matter as it would most likely be used as part of
# a cron job.
#
#
# Warning: if you add this as part of a cron job script, watch out for the paths!  Relative paths
# that work in a user shell may not work when cron is running.  Use absolute paths
# (e.g. "/opt/sendgmail.sh ...") instead.

# Show that something is happening (-n doesn't send a line feed)
echo -n 'Sending email through Gmail... '

# Parenthesis to start a "subshell" that will pass commands to openssl through a pipe
(

# This is the Gmail login for your router's special Gmail address
AUTH=$1

# The FROM line is only "for show" in the email header (the email will come from the Gmail account
# regardless of what you put for the FROM line)
FROM=$AUTH

# This is the Gmail password
PASS=$2

# The email address to which you are sending the email
RECIPIENT=$3

# Subject and body of email
SUBJECT=$4
BODY=$5

# We need to generate base64 login and password for openssl session
AUTH64="$(echo -n $AUTH | openssl enc -base64)"
PASS64="$(echo -n $PASS | openssl enc -base64)"

# Time to start talking to Gmail smtp server
echo 'auth login' ; sleep 1 ; \
echo $AUTH64 ; sleep 1 ; \
echo $PASS64 ; sleep 1 ; \
echo 'mail from: <'$FROM'>' ; sleep 1 ; \
echo 'rcpt to: <'$RECIPIENT'>' ; sleep 1 ; \
echo 'data' ; sleep 1 ; \
echo 'Subject: '$SUBJECT ; sleep 1 ; \
echo ''; sleep 1; \
echo "$BODY"; \
echo '.' ; sleep 1 ; \
echo 'QUIT') 2>&1 | \
openssl s_client -connect smtp.gmail.com:587 -starttls smtp -crlf -ign_eof -quiet > /dev/null 2>&1

# Be positive and cross your fingers that everything went right!
echo 'Done!'

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!