What's new

SIX months since Merlin included updated Asus GPL - what's cooking at Asus ???

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a “noobie”. What exactly is the GPL and how does it affect us/Rmerlin? Is it the core firmware of the Asus routers that brings new features etc?

A GPL is explained pretty well in the link below (using WordPress as an example).

What is GPL? (GPL, GNU and Open Source Explained Simply) (wpbeginner.com)

It affects RMerlin (and us) by not allowing him to put his tweaks on the newly updated/provided closed source blobs. Without access to the source code itself, there would be very little that any developer could do to enhance the firmware of the supported routers.

It's not something I want to discuss publicly since it's an internal Asus matter, sorry.
You may know the reason why but the rest of the consumers does not. Most of us on this forum ARE here because we intentionally bought the router due to the years of open source nature and your hard work and which directly translates to Asus selling more routers. A lot of the folks here have had 3 generations of routers and remained loyal precisely due to your releases.

While they are not obligated to open source anything I do feel that they need to at least be transparent and disclose to their customers that chose this router over many others as to why they are no longer supporting GPL releases. Otherwise my and many others' next router will not be an Asus.

@Impaler614, your choice. But I suggest you reconsider.

RMerlin has stated as much as he wants to. Give it a rest, please.

After all, his relationship with Asus is what is important to the rest of us, long-term. Not yours.

@Impaler614, your choice. But I suggest you reconsider.

RMerlin has stated as much as he wants to. Give it a rest, please.

After all, his relationship with Asus is what is important to the rest of us, long-term. Not yours.

Give what a rest? Expressing my opinion as a consumer of Asus products? If you read my comment properly, this wasn't about RMerlin. In fact he should absolutely keep his conversations with Asus private. It is Asus that is handling it poorly and not being transparent, which may impact it's business should GPL releases cease. After all, we are all here because of the service RMerlin has provided (for which we are all grateful for) all these years which is dependent on GPL releases.

Lastly, you seem a little too quick with the trigger finger. Perhaps you should consider not answering for RMerlin or Asus if you're not in the know. Bwtween your Covid comment, your Edu-guessing comment, and misreading mine.

Give what a rest? This is what:

The answer that RMerlin has specifically stated he wouldn't provide. And the fact that Asus hasn't (and most likely won't) provide one either.

We're not owed anything. Products are sold as-is, with no explanations required.

See Google (dropping support for things randomly). See Microsoft. See AMD. See Intel. See any large corporation that has shareholders to account for itself to.

See the developers on this forum who have left for their own reasons.

Nothing we say will sway them to change their mind. Worst if we think we're owed anything on top of it too. It's just not productive.

So I was typing the replies below until I tried to post and found out my account was deleted. How weak is that? Are the mods sucking on the Asus teat so hard that one cannot even express their disappointment? What a cesspool this forum is.

...and don't worry I will delete myself.

Give what a rest? This is what:

The answer that RMerlin has specifically stated he wouldn't provide. And the fact that Asus hasn't (and most likely won't) provide one either.

We're not owed anything. Products are sold as-is, with no explanations required.

See Google (dropping support for things randomly). See Microsoft. See AMD. See Intel. See any large corporation that has shareholders to account for itself to.

See the developers on this forum who have left for their own reasons.

Nothing we say will sway them to change their mind. Worst if we think we're owed anything on top of it too. It's just not productive.

It is obvious that they don't owe me or any other customer anything... just as I don't owe it to them to buy a 4th Asus router. However, it is a good business practice to keep their customers informed on the service they provide that is directly responsible for many customers decisons in choosing Asus products over others.

No need to name drop large companies, I work for one. Also, those shareholders you mention won't be too happy should sales drop or stay stagnant due to a simple lack of outreach.

Have you asked them about it? Because if nobody asks them, then they can't be blamed for not talking about it.

I have not. But in my previous experience I haven't gotten many responses from Asus, even the fanboy above thinks they mostly won't provide it.

I also think the onus is on them to provide announcements and updates and not each forum member to send them messages. That doesn't seem intuitive, but I have no problem reaching out and sharing the news should they provide it. Whom should I reach out to for best results? @ASUSWRT_2020 or customer service?

So I was typing the replies below until I tried to post and found out my account was deleted. How weak is that? Are the mods sucking on the Asus teat so hard that one cannot even express their disappointment? What a cesspool this forum is.
Hopefully there's a non-editorial explanation for that.

I didn't do it, and knowing @thiggins it's not his style either, as problem users usually get banned, not deleted. You might want to contact him in private to see what happened with your former account.

I have not. But in my previous experience I haven't gotten many responses from Asus, even the fanboy above thinks they mostly won't provide it.
You can try. Users did receive answers in the past when they directly contacted them, for example through networking_support@asus.com. You can also try PMing @ASUSWRT_2020 but he doesn't log in regularly, usually only when publishing public beta builds.

I also think the onus is on them to provide announcements and updates and not each forum member to send them messages.
GPL releases are something that 99.99% of end users wouldn't even know existed, so I don't see any reason for them to issue a press release to talk about that kind of internal matters. And since they no longer seem to have their former Customer Loyalty Group (outside of their ROG-specific team), they no longer have any real public facing representatives either in the community.

Some of you folks really flip your lid when you don't get your fix updates :)

I'll agree that this has been a difficult time, but I've found solace in the Uptime thread, and I truly believe that you can too.

@ImpalerV, you're confusing a realist with a fanboy. :rolleyes:

And of course, you need to contact Asus directly, anyone here representing Asus is not customer service.

There were legal concerns for the previous GPL and we were asked to remove them.
We build a new process to solve the legal issues in the past months. The new GPL for AX and AC models are under review.
If there are no other new issues, we will release the new GPL.

@ImpalerV If you are the same as impaler614, you emailed and asked that your posts and account be deleted. I complied. I'll happy to delete this new account so that you don't have to swim in this "cesspool". And watch your language or you will earn a temporary ban.

@L&LD Please stop trolling and attempting to moderate posts. I've warned you before. SNBForums is not your personal soapbox.

@ImpalerV I rechecked the account deletion email and it was NOT from you. I sincerely apologize for accidentally deleting your account.
Does this imply that someone else on the forum wanted this guy gone badly and crafted a social engineering email to send you? Or is this an email through the Contact Us link at the bottom of every page? Not that the details of this particular accident are too important, but is there a lesson learned for the rest of us?

Does this imply that someone else on the forum wanted this guy gone badly and crafted a social engineering email to send you? Or is this an email through the Contact Us link at the bottom of every page? Not that the details of this particular accident are too important, but is there a lesson learned for the rest of us?
Not at all. I just made a mistake. There was no impersonation or misdirection involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!