What's new

SMB loosing config at reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

A

Astralix

SOLVED: SMB loosing config at reboot

Hi!

First of all, thanks you Merlin for your work on improving AC66U firmware. Right mixture of staying close to the original but tweaking up some important things.

But I have a problem with samba service. As I have multiple shares with different rights, I set up the basic things via web interface and then modified the /etc/smb.conf directly by copying the strutures the web interface produced. I just used the keywords and the follow up of the keywords the generated smb.conf file had before.

I expected the system to then show the settings I made. But now, after either modifying something via web interface or just rebooting the router, the smb.conf is trashed.
The system always adds multiple path entries for minidln adatabase and others that I never set up. It throws permissions and my four usernames I added for each entry at random.

How can I prevent this? I don't need the web interface for smb if it destroys my settings. Or is there different directory where I can copy my settings that is preferred over auto-configuration?

Thanks for any help
Regards
Astralix

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi TeHashX,

thanks for the link to that important information. I already created the jffs as I followed the instructions of how to setup a fast minidlna with ext3 for the database and so on. So I just copied over the smb.conf to /jffs/configs/ but I'll have to get home first before I reboot to test that.

Regards
Astralix

Thanks for the help!
Copying the changed /etc/smb.conf to /jffs/configs/smb.conf solved the problem completely.

I saved the /jffs before doing a firmware upgrade to the latest merlin beta, but it looks like jffs survived the upgrade without any data loss.

Regards
Astralix

I saved the /jffs before doing a firmware upgrade to the latest merlin beta, but it looks like jffs survived the upgrade without any data loss.

Most of the time it will keep the existing data, it's just not guaranteed to, unless you have an RT-AC66U - due to its larger flash map, jffs sits above the first 32 MB, so it should never be overwritten by the firmware.