What's new

Diversion SOLVED - Diversion not working on iPhone, all other devices protected

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

martinr

Part of the Furniture
I noticed my iPhone was the only device not being protected by Diversion regardless of which browser I was using.

Trace Route to a blocked site (Facebook and Twitter) only showed the Pixelserv server address on all other devices (192.168.10.2), but on the iPhone the first hop was to the router (192.168.10.1) and then off out to Twitter/Facebook. I could Ping the pixelserv server address on every other device, but not on the iPhone.

I tracked the problem down to iCloud Private Relay. (Settings > iCloud > Private Relay (Beta) 4th item down, between Keychain and Hide my email)

i had turned on Private Relay a while back, thinking it was a good thing (on my iPhone only, thankfully, otherwise I’d probably be doing a factory reset by now!).

I turned Private Relay off and the iPhone is back under Diversion’s protection.

Here’s what Apple says about Private Relay:

How Private Relay works​

Normally, when you browse the web, information contained in your web traffic, such as your DNS records and IP address, can be seen by your network provider and the websites you visit. This information could be used to determine your identity and build a profile of your location and browsing history over time. iCloud Private Relay is designed to protect your privacy by ensuring that, when you browse the web in Safari, no single party – not even Apple – can see both who you are and what sites you're visiting.
When Private Relay is enabled, your requests are sent through two separate, secure internet relays. Your IP address is visible to your network provider and to the first relay, which is operated by Apple. Your DNS records are encrypted, so neither party can see the address of the website you’re trying to visit. The second relay, which is operated by a third-party content provider, generates a temporary IP address, decrypts the name of the website you requested, and connects you to the site. All of this is done using the latest internet standards to maintain a high-performance browsing experience while protecting your privacy.

SO BEWARE OF TURNING ON APPLE PRIVATE RELAY IF YOU USE DIVERSION

Last edited:

Be sure you're fully updated too on those Apple products.

Be sure you're fully updated too on those Apple products.
L&LD! How are you? Thank you very much. My brother has just this second sent me an article from the Guardian about it. It’s quite troubling, and a reminder, if one were needed, that Apple’s security is far from perfect.

Thanks, again, L&LD. (We used to be able to private message people on this forum. Has that changed? I can’t immediately see how to do it.)

Hello @martinr. :)

Sorry, I've disabled PM on my account here. Just too busy.

Always glad to see you participating still on these forums!

Hello @martinr. :)

Sorry, I've disabled PM on my account here. Just too busy.

Always glad to see you participating still on these forums!
Understood. I need to get back to following these forums: there’s just too much good stuff I’m missing, and I get rusty very quickly these days. It’s nice to be back; it just takes a bit o

Last time we PM’d, you were recovering; I very much hope that’s all behind you now.

Thanks again. All Apple devices now fully updated.

I am much better now, thank you! But aren't we all recovering from this thing called life? :D

I look forward to seeing you more in the forums, good to see old friends back.

I tracked the problem down to iCloud Private Relay. (Settings > iCloud > Private Relay (Beta) 4th item down, between Keychain and Hide my email)
Thaks for getting to the root of the problem, I'll add this to the website.
Never looked at that option and have not been aware it was added. It must be off by default or else I would have used some choice words when finding out.

Thaks for getting to the root of the problem, I'll add this to the website.
Never looked at that option and have not been aware it was added. It must be off by default or else I would have used some choice words when finding out.

Hi Martin, yes, it is off by default, thankfully. It came in with iOS15.

Glad to be of assistance, and thank you.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!