What's new

AX86U setup & ethernet-only access--solved

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Calafax

New Around Here
I'm running into a complication while setting up a new AX86U to replace an AC86U. It appears that the AX86U is not accessible unless the laptop I'm using for setup is connected wirelessly to the router. That is, if I turn off the laptop wireless, I can't connect to the router at its default address (192.168.50.1) through ethernet only (connected to a LAN port on the router). If I turn on the laptop wireless and connect to the router wirelessly, the connecting to 192.168.50.1 succeeds. This behavior is different from that of any other router I've ever set up.

I also found that if I turn off the wireless on the router (both the 2.4 & 5 networks I'm creating), the router becomes completely inaccessible. I had to do a reset and start again from scratch.

Any insights would be welcome. I'm wondering what I'll face when moving the new router into place and trying to access it from my main desktop system, which has no wireless.

I've never experienced that with my RT-AX86U, or heard of anyone else report such an issue in these forums.

To be clear, your Ethernet connection works when you're doing the initial setup but stops working sometime later? Or are you doing everything over Wi-Fi?

If it's the latter then perhaps your Ethernet cable is faulty, or the router's LAN ports have failed.

Welcome to the forums @Calafax.

How have you set up your new RT-AX86U? Do you plug in a USB drive that was previously used for scripts/amtm? Did you use a backup config file from the RT-AC86U to configure it? After flashing the RT-AX86U with the RMerlin firmware, did you perform a full reset, and follow that with a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP?

And, are you logging off the router (and not just closing the browser) when testing from a wired computer?

Have you rebooted all devices (not just shut down and then start again, but specifically 'Restart'' all the devices you're using) to do this with?

Have you tried clearing your browser cache on the wired device(s)?

are you getting lights on the LAN port when you plug in the cable ?
Are you on the same subnet as the router on the LAN ? you can manually set your laptop ethernet TCP/IP address, using the router address as gateway, and a mask of 255.255.255.0
try a ping of the router address to confirm hardware connection.

To be clear, your Ethernet connection works when you're doing the initial setup but stops working sometime later? Or are you doing everything over Wi-Fi?
No. I cannot access the router at all unless the laptop is connected to it through wireless. Ethernet-only to 192.168.50.1 does not work at all. With the wireless connection, connecting to 192.168.50.1 works.
How have you set up your new RT-AX86U? Do you plug in a USB drive that was previously used for scripts/amtm? Did you use a backup config file from the RT-AC86U to configure it?
No and no.

After flashing the RT-AX86U with the RMerlin firmware, did you perform a full reset
Yes.

...and follow that with a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP?

I'm not connecting to the ISP yet. I've configured everything and am about ready for that step, but this problem needs an answer before I make the move. What I'm doing affects other people and their internet access, and I can't prevent that access for hours maybe while I experiment.

Are you on the same subnet as the router on the LAN ?
The router isn't on the LAN.

LAN port light on router is lit. I've tried three LAN ports. Each lit correctly. I've also tried three cables. Didn't think of ping. Will try that later today.

Last edited:
The router is the LAN.

What devices are you using to connect to the router? Where are they plugged in (to the new router, or the old one)?

Are you logging out of the router before closing the browser on the wireless device you use?

What devices are you using to connect to the router?
Plain vanilla Dell laptop (Win 10 & Firefox).
Where are they plugged in (to the new router, or the old one)?
One physical connection only, from laptop ethernet port to LAN port on the router.
Are you logging out of the router before closing the browser on the wireless device you use?
I've unplugged the router several times in the process of trying to isolate a cause, as well as shutting down the computer. The behavior remains. Ethernet-only acces to the router at 192.168.50.1 fails. As does access at router.asus.com.
---------------------------------
So now I've tried ping with this result:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ping 192.168.50.1

Pinging 192.168.50.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.210: Destination host unreachable.

Ping statistics for 192.168.50.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Note the reply address: It's not the new router. But the statistics say no loss.

Maybe alcohol is the solution.

Plug in the Dell to the new router, and reboot (Restart) both. A shutdown and start is not the same thing as Restart.

Also, try another browser (Edge). After doing the above.

Right now, it doesn't look like you're connected (properly) to the new router via Ethernet.

I'm running into a complication while setting up a new AX86U to replace an AC86U. It appears that the AX86U is not accessible unless the laptop I'm using for setup is connected wirelessly to the router. That is, if I turn off the laptop wireless, I can't connect to the router at its default address (192.168.50.1) through ethernet only (connected to a LAN port on the router). If I turn on the laptop wireless and connect to the router wirelessly, the connecting to 192.168.50.1 succeeds. This behavior is different from that of any other router I've ever set up.

I also found that if I turn off the wireless on the router (both the 2.4 & 5 networks I'm creating), the router becomes completely inaccessible. I had to do a reset and start again from scratch.

Any insights would be welcome. I'm wondering what I'll face when moving the new router into place and trying to access it from my main desktop system, which has no wireless.
Did you buy this new and unopened? X.210 is a private address and sounds like a router. What happens if you type that address in the browser bar.

Also maybe plug lan port of new into lan port of old and try the login again.

Plain vanilla Dell laptop (Win 10 & Firefox).

One physical connection only, from laptop ethernet port to LAN port on the router.

I've unplugged the router several times in the process of trying to isolate a cause, as well as shutting down the computer. The behavior remains. Ethernet-only acces to the router at 192.168.50.1 fails. As does access at router.asus.com.
---------------------------------
So now I've tried ping with this result:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ping 192.168.50.1

Pinging 192.168.50.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 192.168.50.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Note the reply address: It's not the new router. But the statistics say no loss.

Maybe alcohol is the solution.
Your PC still thinks it's in the 192.168.1.x subnet. Try changing your PC's network interface from DHCP (currently 192.168.1.210) to a static configuration with an IP address of 192.168.50.10.

Right now, it doesn't look like you're connected (properly) to the new router via Ethernet.
This finally made me back up and think in the right direction, the other direction: the laptop's ethernet connection. I swapped the Dell with another laptop, and problem solved. Ethernet-only to 192.168.50.1 succeeds. I used the Dell's ethernet connection quite recently without a problem, which pushed my attention to the Asus, the new device in the mix, but the Dell does appear to be the culprit.

I much appreciate everyone's help. This site is a treasure because of the people who take time to be helpful. I'm grateful. Thanks.

Glad you've got the solution @Calafax!

Didn't rebooting the Dell work? If not, is it because you've set it to fixed IP (and not controlled via DHCP)?

In my experience, I always 'blame' Dell first, if one is on the network I'm working on. :)

Glad you've got the solution @Calafax!

Didn't rebooting the Dell work? If not, is it because you've set it to fixed IP (and not controlled via DHCP)?

In my experience, I always 'blame' Dell first, if one is on the network I'm working on. :)
The Dell is running via DHCP, with lots of rebooting while looking for a solution. The problem must involve either the hardware (port or internal components) or some screwy business related to Windows. Either way, spending lots of time to diagnose this issue looks pretty wasteful. I just really do badly need another bench computer for these jobs.

Yeah. That's what I'll tell her. 👍

I swapped the Dell with another laptop, and problem solved.

This is an excellent solution for an IP address problem. I hope you don't lose your car keys. New cars are expensive.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!