What's new

[Solved] IPv6 on my R7800

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cdysthe

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I've been running iPv6 without problems on my R7800 without problems. I would now like to switch to my prefered DNS provider (Quad9) but I can't figure out how to enter the addresses on the R7800. The addresses are:

2620:fe::fe and 2620:fe::9

On the R7800 there are the 8 alphanumeric fields and I am not sure how to expand the addresses I got from Quad9 correctly. It's the "fe"'s that confuses me. I see that the address I get using full DHCP has a field with "feed" in it. Is that the same as the "fe" in the Quad9 short addresses? I have tried a few online "IPv6 expander services" but they choke on these addresses and say they are not valid.

Could someone please point me in the right direction?

UPDATE: Just got a response from Quad9 (wow!) and on the R7800 I have to enter "feed" where it says "fe" in the address. I have never had an IPv6 address containing feed so this is new to me.

Last edited:
The R7800 will accept them with "feed" in there, but they will not actually be used because those are not the correct addresses. DNS is probably working fine for you because the R7800 will just use the IPv4 DNS servers.

IPv6 addresses are hexadecimal numbers, so 0-9 and a-f are all valid characters in them. Many four-letter words can be created from a-f, including dead, beef, feed, cafe, babe, but none of them have any special significance to a router. Adding extra letters to an IPv6 address will always break it. You can only add zeros, and only in specific places. "fe" can be expanded to "00fe", but never "feed" or "fe00".

"::" in an IPv6 address just means all zeros. There is a good IPv6 address expander at https://www.ultratools.com/tools/ipv6Expand

The expanded addresses for Quad9's IPv6 DNS servers are:
2620:fe:0:0:0:0:0:fe
2620:fe:0:0:0:0:0:9

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!