What's new

Source of Port Listening

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Denna

After running netstat, the following is output.

tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:5473 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:18017 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:3394 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 RT-AC88U-0000.printer 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 RT-AC88U-0000.:laserjet 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:9998 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 RT-AC88U-0000.:3838 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN​

What features are causing these ports to be open ?

There isn't a printer attached.

Last edited:
The words printer and laserjet are an automatic translation of well known ports. Printer = tcp/515 and laserjet is tcp/9100. If you do a netstat -ln you will see the associated ports. Not 100% sure what they are for but I believe it's for the Network printer service.

zmaster,

According to the WebGUI, network printing hasn't been setup or downloaded.

Printing Ports.png

I checked it on my 68u as well. I haven't configured any printer services but the ports are still listening. I don't think it's anything you have to worry about and that's it's something out of the box.

Doesn't 0.0.0.0 means all interfaces and include the external VLAN2 (WAN) interface ?

How do you get the default firmware installation to stop listening on these ports ?

Excluding the ports related to printing, what are the other ports for ?​

0.0.0.0 means all interfaces when it's defined as your local address. Your iptables still allow or block access to these ports. Unless you don't open anything in there nothing is reachable from the internet.
I don't know what these ports are for. Maybe rmerlin can shine a light on this. You could also check the ports in the well known port list @ iana.

To be honest, I don't think you should worry too much about those ports. You could eventually break something if you don't know what it's for.

After running nmap against 127.0.0.1, it displays the following.

Port.png

What is distinct32 ?​

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!