What's new

spdMerlin spdMerlin - v4.x - speedtest and bandwidth monitoring

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AC86U with merlin 384.19.

My WAN is on USB Android phone. Dual WAN is off.

SpdMerlin installs fine, but when I select WAN the web interface tells me "None configured".

I get these errors on the CLI:-

Choose an interface to speedtest:

1. All
2. WAN

Choose an option: 2

What mode would you like to use?

1. Auto-select
2. Preferred server
3. Choose a server

Choose an option: 1

spdMerlin: Starting speedtest using auto-selected server for WAN interface

[2020-12-20 16:34:53.487] [error] Configuration - Couldn't connect to server (Network is unreachable)
[2020-12-20 16:34:53.488] [error] Configuration - Cannot retrieve configuration document (0)
[2020-12-20 16:34:53.488] [error] ConfigurationError - Could not retrieve or read configuration (Configuration)
[2020-12-20 16:34:53.488] [error] ConfigurationError - Could not retrieve or read configuration (Configuration)
[error] Configuration - Could not retrieve or read configuration (ConfigurationError)
spdMerlin: Error running speedtest for WAN

Do I need to change this somewhere to select the WAN as USB0?

Thanks

If you didn't let the first run complete when you first installed it and it asked for permission to accept the speedtest EULA, then you may want to uninstall it and try re-installing once more.

If you didn't let the first run complete when you first installed it and it asked for permission to accept the speedtest EULA, then you may want to uninstall it and try re-installing once more.
Thanks for the suggestion, I have done this including removing configurations etc., but still no joy. I get the same messages.

Maybe it just won't work on a USB WAN?

Bingo! I think that may be your issue.

Can you select the USB WAN as the one to test? In the CLI if not in the GUI?

Thanks for the suggestion, I have done this including removing configurations etc., but still no joy. I get the same messages.

can you check what the below reports on the command line please?
Code:
nvram show | grep usb0

I'm using a usb wan. Electrical storm fried my primary wan. Works ok with my setup.

can you check what the below reports on the command line please?
Code:
nvram show | grep usb0

Output is below, thank you.

/tmp/mnt/RTR-USB# nvram show | grep usb0

size: 69969 bytes (61103 left)
igmp_ifname=usb0
usb_modem_act_dev=usb0
usb_path2_act=usb0
wan0_gw_ifname=usb0
wan0_ifname=usb0
wan1_gw_ifname=usb0

Bingo! I think that may be your issue.

Can you select the USB WAN as the one to test? In the CLI if not in the GUI?
Not sure how to do this, I can't find anywhere where I can enter "USB0".

Also not sure if it is relevant, apologies for not mentioning if it is, I am running a Wireguard client on interface wg0.

Output is below, thank you.

/tmp/mnt/RTR-USB# nvram show | grep usb0

size: 69969 bytes (61103 left)
igmp_ifname=usb0
usb_modem_act_dev=usb0
usb_path2_act=usb0
wan0_gw_ifname=usb0
wan0_ifname=usb0
wan1_gw_ifname=usb0
OK so it should be trying to use usb0 as I use the below for WAN:
Code:
IFACE="$(nvram get wan0_ifname)"
just to check the other logic, what do you get for:
Code:
nvram get sw_mode
nvram get wan0_proto

OK so it should be trying to use usb0 as I use the below for WAN:
Code:
IFACE="$(nvram get wan0_ifname)"
just to check the other logic, what do you get for:
Code:
nvram get sw_mode
nvram get wan0_proto

sw_mode 1
wan0_proto dhcp

Thanks.

4.1.1 works just fine on my 68U (384.19) which is using USB for the WAN via a cell phone. I did nothing special. Just installed and let it rip. It is also working on VPN1 using openvpn.

Hm OK. Maybe your USB device just doesn't work with it. Can you try
Code:
/jffs/addons/spdmerlin.d/ookla/speedtest --interface=usb0 --servers --format="json"
Thanks for helping Jack, it seems that the problem is my wg0 Wireguard interface which I should have checked before asking for help. I set this up following the instructions here

When I turn it off the Speedcheck works fine on USB0, but as soon as I turn it back on I get the errors:-

spdMerlin: Starting speedtest using auto-selected server for WAN interface

[2020-12-23 11:31:04.187] [error] Configuration - Couldn't connect to server (Network is unreachable)
[2020-12-23 11:31:04.188] [error] Configuration - Cannot retrieve configuration document (0)
[2020-12-23 11:31:04.188] [error] ConfigurationError - Could not retrieve or read configuration (Configuration)
[2020-12-23 11:31:04.188] [error] ConfigurationError - Could not retrieve or read configuration (Configuration)
[error] Configuration - Could not retrieve or read configuration (ConfigurationError)
spdMerlin: Error running speedtest for WAN

As I send all my traffic through wg0 I assume that I can't do anything to make the script work? Obviously I'd welcome any help but at the same time appreciate that Wireguard is experimental and not supported by Asus/Merlin.

Cheers again.

@El Indalo, can you not change the interface used?

See the link below for the GUI where it shows 'Preferred servers for interfaces'.

@El Indalo, can you not change the interface used?

See the link below for the GUI where it shows 'Preferred servers for interfaces'.
As far as I can see the issue is not whether you can choose the server (for a given interface) but that with Wireguard there is an unexpected interface wg0 which spdmerlin is not setup to recognise.

@archiel, but is that not the same thing? :)

I don't think I have the skills to "change the interface used". The GUI does not offer me wg0, so I think I would have to set up Wireguard to operate as tun0, am not even sure if that would be possible. So I think it is must be correct to say that "there is an unexpected interface wg0"

The other possibility is that it may be something to do with routing, but my knowledge of that is practically zero!

the speedtest itself could be failing - ookla's binary doesn't log that anywhere at the moment. i can take a look to see if I can capture error logging

Here's a screenshot from my system log. The ones that are skipped here at 18:12 and 19:12 are skipped in the GUI interface altogether. I thought it might be just skipping it in the system log for whatever reason. It's currently randomly selecting servers, but it behaved similar when I had a preferred server selected.

It's not a big deal, but it this an indication of other woes? Nothing seems to trigger it that I can see. It's just random. Sometimes a few times a day, sometimes none.
thanks,
and
Merry Christmas to All!

Screenshot_2020-12-25 System Log - enhanced by Scribe.png

Hello All - I had been using the older version of spdMerlin that was on the Tools page for a while and as I was updating the firmware for the router, I thought it would be a good time to update spdMerlin as well.
After some really interesting errors on SQLite, and some reading I realized that the update for spdMerlin was dependent on some new libraries, so I went back and updated entware. Finally, after some other weirdness, I decided I would remove then reinstall spdMerin and run the script (part of my issue was the license agreement) - so I got that all resolved.

I was able to successfully run a speed test from both the CLI and GUI, and the results are reported to the System log as expected; however I am not getting any of the graphing goodness - just a large font taunting me with "No data to display". As I poked around I saw that all the htm files are 0 byte and all the CSV files are also 0 byte. I am not sure why the data isn't being captured and displayed. I moved the data file to USB, and same result.

Looking at the webpage console, no real indicators, in fact the one message is:

<yellow triangle>
DevTools failed to load SourceMap: Could not load content for http://192.168.1.1/ext/shared-jy/hammer.min.js.map: HTTP error: status code 404, net::ERR_HTTP_RESPONSE_CODE_FAILURE

Here is my configuration:

WAN - Cable modem to Spectrum 200/20
RT-AC68U

spdMerlin v4.1.1

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Go back into spdMerlin via amtm and try running 'uf' and 'u' again.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!