What's new

spdMerlin spdMerlin - v4.x - speedtest and bandwidth monitoring

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lot's of questions here related to QoS - I'll throw in one more. Recently, I'd decided to try out the AutoBW feature. What I noticed is that my spdMerlin results started gradually degrade over the course of past three days. I blamed my ISP first, had an unnecessarily angry call with the support - they suggested to reset the router. I didn't want go that far, so I decided to poke around the router settings first. What I discovered is that disabling QoS get's me back to my original bandwidth. Some more digging around, and I found out that "Exclude from QoS" option does absolutely nothing - spdMerlin obeys the QoS maximum download bandwidth regardless of the setting. Any suggestions?
I'm on Merlin 386.1_2, spdMerlin 4.1.1, _Traditional QoS_.
SmartSelect_20210318-134232_Chrome.jpg

Lot's of questions here related to QoS - I'll throw in one more. Recently, I'd decided to try out the AutoBW feature. What I noticed is that my spdMerlin results started gradually degrade over the course of past three days. I blamed my ISP first, had an unnecessarily angry call with the support - they suggested to reset the router. I didn't want go that far, so I decided to poke around the router settings first. What I discovered is that disabling QoS get's me back to my original bandwidth. Some more digging around, and I found out that "Exclude from QoS" option does absolutely nothing - spdMerlin obeys the QoS maximum download bandwidth regardless of the setting. Any suggestions?
I'm on Merlin 386.1_2, spdMerlin 4.1.1, _Traditional QoS_.
View attachment 32161
which qos method are you using?

edit: never mind, I see you're using traditional qos. currently only adaptive and cake are supported.

Hi all!

Question, how to I get the list of IDs for all available servers? I am from CR, so I only get local servers which provide unreal results. I need to be able to configure it against a server in USA, for instance Comcast in Miami.

Thanks!

Hi all!

Question, how to I get the list of IDs for all available servers? I am from CR, so I only get local servers which provide unreal results. I need to be able to configure it against a server in USA, for instance Comcast in Miami.

Thanks!
I figured it out. Below steps in case anyone else needs to do something similar:

So checking at the code for speedtest-cli I saw that it uses the following URL(https://www.speedtest.net/speedtest-servers-static.php?really=totally) to get the list of nearby servers. If you paste browse to is, it will show you the same list of nearby servers as you would get it from spdMerlin.

I went on and paid for a month of VPN,, connected to a server in Miami and then refresh that URL. Voila! now the URL shows the servers that I need.

Mar 22 11:30:01 spdMerlin: Starting speedtest using Virgin Media (Manchester, United Kingdom) for WAN interface
Mar 22 11:30:06 spdMerlin: Error running speedtest for WAN
Mar 22 11:30:06 spdMerlin: DEBUG: csv generation starting
Mar 22 11:30:09 spdMerlin: DEBUG: csv generation ended
Mar 22 11:30:09 spdMerlin: Download speed (532898 Kbps) > upper limit (491520 Kbps)

@Jack Yaz Had this in the error log today and the speedtest won't run on the WAN. Currently running CAKE and the previous WAN speed tests were giving me full d/l & u/l speed test results. CAKE only applying to the LAN interface.

Mar 22 11:30:01 spdMerlin: Starting speedtest using Virgin Media (Manchester, United Kingdom) for WAN interface
Mar 22 11:30:06 spdMerlin: Error running speedtest for WAN
Mar 22 11:30:06 spdMerlin: DEBUG: csv generation starting
Mar 22 11:30:09 spdMerlin: DEBUG: csv generation ended
Mar 22 11:30:09 spdMerlin: Download speed (532898 Kbps) > upper limit (491520 Kbps)

@Jack Yaz Had this in the error log today and the speedtest won't run on the WAN. Currently running CAKE and the previous WAN speed tests were giving me full d/l & u/l speed test results. CAKE only applying to the LAN interface.
is that a preferred or automatic server? if preferred, it might not exist anymore

is that a preferred or automatic server? if preferred, it might not exist anymore
Spot on the money!! Weird thing is, I was using the Virgin Media Manchester server for this. I wonder if they've blacklisted me!

New to this forum and the Merlin-Asus firmware.
AutoBW is throwing me for a loop. Maybe I don't understand how it is suppose to work. Please forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong location. I just figured since it is under the spMerlin tab that this thread would be ok.
My bandwidth is degraded heavily when I enable this function. My bandwidth is 90/18 (Comcast Docsis 3.1). I have a RT-Ax86u. After enabling the AutoBW my upload is basically untouched but my download is decrease to less than 60 sometimes. Does the function stop at some point to does it continue to decrease. The setting are for AutoBW are all at default values. As of right now I have it disabled. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
do you have "exclude from QoS" enabled? if not, please enable it
next version will force it on as well as adding support for built-in cake

@dave14305 don't suppose you're familiar with traditional qos, and how one might temporarily disable it/add a rule for speedtests to skip it, please? :D

do you have "exclude from QoS" enabled? if not, please enable it
next version will force it on as well as adding support for built-in cake

@dave14305 don't suppose you're familiar with traditional qos, and how one might temporarily disable it/add a rule for speedtests to skip it, please? :D
It would be the same /tmp/qos stop command.

I'm trying Merlin and AMTM for the first time and spdMerlin does not test when i run test, chanign options beween prefered servers etc. does not do anything, results in errors in console, and setting run automated speedtest to no does not save or if it saves it does not load.

In amtm interface it says that automatic speedtests are disabled so at least that.

What should I do to make it work?

WbYTyNE.png

Mxn2lxh.png

Last edited:
I'm trying Merlin and AMTM for the first time and spdMerlin does not test when i run test, chanign options beween prefered servers etc. does not do anything, results in errors in console, and setting run automated speedtest to no does not save or if it saves it does not load.

In amtm interface it says that automatic speedtests are disabled so at least that.

What should I do to make it work?

WbYTyNE.png

Mxn2lxh.png
thats an error in the speedtest application, not much i can do about that....unless....please run
Code:
ps | grep spdmerlin
ps | grep speedtest

Not technically a fault of spdMerlin, but has anyone else noticed that all Virgin Media speedtest servers have disappeared?
I only noticed because I have spdMerlin set to use one but for the past few days I noticed the speed check was failing.

Not technically a fault of spdMerlin, but has anyone else noticed that all Virgin Media speedtest servers have disappeared?
I only noticed because I have spdMerlin set to use one but for the past few days I noticed the speed check was failing.
indeed it seems they have, but theyre available through speedtest.net

I wonder if they've blacklisted ookla's speedtest binary or something (useragent)

indeed it seems they have, but theyre available through speedtest.net

I wonder if they've blacklisted ookla's speedtest binary or something (useragent)
I was wondering the same thing.
I haven't checked on speedtest.net but they've also disappeared on the speedtest app (Android).

Yes I'd noticed this when I wondered why the test wouldn't run and Jack asked me to check the preferred server.

According to the data from spdmerlin, happened approx 11am on Mon 22nd this week.

Coincidently (or not), I've had an ongoing complaint with virgin media due to what I suspected to be upstream congestion and they've logged my connection since the middle of last week for a few days.. They've updated me today to admit my area is congested and it's partly to do with people working from home and demand being far greater than normal. Apparently peak time is being classified 9am - 11pm now because of people working from home.

I suspect this may have something to do the wider decision taken perhaps? I thought I'd been blacklisted for using so much data on speed tests!! :D

@Jack Yaz

There may be an issue with spdmerlin messing up the qdisc as per the below post. Dave recommended posting in this thread for you to check. CAKE is somewhat reverting, possibly after spdmerlin does a test and the qdisc then becomes some sort of mash up. Replicated this with box FlexQos on A.QoS and then just plain A.QoS.

@Jack Yaz

There may be an issue with spdmerlin messing up the qdisc as per the below post. Dave recommended posting in this thread for you to check. CAKE is somewhat reverting, possibly after spdmerlin does a test and the qdisc then becomes some sort of mash up. Replicated this with box FlexQos on A.QoS and then just plain A.QoS.

What it looks like on the surface is that spdMerlin will attempt to active any/all possible QoS types if they have any artifacts on the router. If Adaptive QoS is enabled but the /tmp/qos script still exists because the router hasn’t required a reboot, then spdMerlin will activate both.

Probably need some handling of these 3 scenarios:
  1. Adaptive QoS Enabled (qos_enable=1, qos_type=1): run the iptables whitelist commands.
  2. Traditional, BWL or Cake QoS Enabled (qos_enable=1, qos_type != 1): run /tmp/qos stop/start.
  3. Legacy CakeQOS-Merlin enabled (qos_enable=0, cake-qos script exists): cake-qos stop/start.