What's new

Specific TCP/IP Settings for Torrents?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

quantar

New Around Here
Hi there,
I traced a bandwidth problem for a long time until I finally could figure out the type of cause.
After a couple of minutes the torrent speed decreases massively (20MB/s -- 1MB/s). Rebooting the router helps, but again just for a couple of minutes.
The problem disappeared after I more or less randomly increased the TCP/IP values. Now I try to figure out what the relevant variable(s) is/are and what the maximum value.
Do you have any suggestions for the settings here?

Edit: It is a Asus N66U running latest Merlin with 400Mbit/s down and 25Mbit/s up
Edit2: The problem reappeared, after about 1 hour traffic broke in again, so adding just one "0" seems not enough. ;)

thanks
quan

3ifs4d.jpg

Last edited:
I recall that long, long time ago (~2013) I setup-up Torrent-ing on my N66U and I recalled setting some TCP buffers (good that I still had a backup of the old config): :cool:

Add this lines to the init-start user script in /jffs/scripts and make it executable:
#!/bin/sh
# When uTorrent transport protocol is enabled give transmission the
# added memory to 5MB receive and 1.5MB send
echo 5242880 > /proc/sys/net/core/rmem_max
echo 1572864 > /proc/sys/net/core/wmem_max

Additionally it could be good to avoid buffer-bloat (not sure it will help) - remember to use the correct network devices from the N66U (get them from ifconfig) - also to be added into the init-start script:
# for buffer-bloat are a lot of fixes coming up but the current method for
# reducing it for linux routers is to reduce the buffer size.
# This router has a 1000 packet buffer and I just want to reduce that to 100
/sbin/ifconfig <<WAN>> txqueuelen 100
/sbin/ifconfig <<LAN>> txqueuelen 100
# WLANs
/sbin/ifconfig <<2.4GWLAN>> txqueuelen 16
/sbin/ifconfig <<5GWLAN>> txqueuelen 16

In general you need to be patient with your small MIPS CPU based N66U: It's not that fast in processing Torrents (especially in read/write to the disk). :rolleyes:

Even my AC87U with an overclocked ARM CPU is struggling to handle the disk fast enough - the max rates I get are 15 MBit down with 7.5 MBit up in parallel - again it's due the disk handling as the router CPU has no help from DMA or a nice 6 Gbit SATA sub-systems.

I would guess, that you have to expect the limits of your router around 50% of my ones... ;)

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!