What's new

Speedtest works with OpenVPN Server but not with Wireguard Server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jksmurf

I know iperf is supposed to be better but I don't feel comfortable putting Entware on the router just for that and I really just want to test OpenVPN vs Wireguard vs Tailscale speeds to my Router.
  1. I can make a VPN connection to the Router via the OpenVPN Server I set up on and test using speedtest.net and OOKLA. No problem.
  2. I can make a VPN connection to the Router via Tailscale (RPi subnet Router) I set up and test using speedtest.net and OOKLA. No problem.
  3. I can make a VPN connection to the Router via Wireguard that I set up on the Router (LAN only) BUT the test using speedtest.net and OOKLA fails. I can access the Router Webadmin just fine on this VPN,
Any idea what the issue could be here or where I should start looking first please ?

k.

Last edited:
Not the answer to your question but you might find that iperf is already on your router. It is for me.

Code:
admin@RT-AX86U:/# /usr/bin/iperf3 -v
iperf 3.1.3
Linux RT-AX86U 4.1.52 #2 SMP PREEMPT Fri Mar 25 11:09:29 EDT 2022 aarch64
Optional features available: CPU affinity setting, IPv6 flow label, TCP congestion algorithm setting, sendfile / zerocopy, socket pacing

Not the answer to your question but you might find that iperf is already on your router. It is for me.

Code:
admin@RT-AX86U:/# /usr/bin/iperf3 -v
iperf 3.1.3
Linux RT-AX86U 4.1.52 #2 SMP PREEMPT Fri Mar 25 11:09:29 EDT 2022 aarch64
Optional features available: CPU affinity setting, IPv6 flow label, TCP congestion algorithm setting, sendfile / zerocopy, socket pacing

You sir, are amazing :). I just did this for my Router at home (from work, initiating it using WG and a terminal, on my iPhone) and then to another Router 9000km away. Chuffed to bits. It was exactly the answer I needed. Thank you. :)

Attachments

• IMG_5189a.jpg
    IMG_5189a.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_5190.jpg
    IMG_5190.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 45

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!