What's new

Shelly device works properly on Guest network but NOT on regular

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tomwilley

New Around Here
Hi Guys,
I have a mesh network using an RT-AC5300 and two RT-3100 routers with asuswrt-merlin 386.11.

Yesterday, I added a shelly plus 1 to my network. Getting it connected to my wifi was easy and at first I thought everything was fine as I could look at the device using my browser. Then it became apparent that although I could look at the device, it was not connecting to the internet. For instance, it could not connect to shelly's cloud or get new firmware update. Similarly, I could not connect to it from shelly's cloud apps.

After much messing around, I connected the shelly, using my guest wifi (access intranet is disabled,) and my shelly is now functioning flawlessly. However,my goal is to connect it to Apple HomeKit which runs on my regular wifi with all my other devices, SO I need it to be on my regular network.

Does anybody have any thought or pointers to where I should start looking to figure what's different between my guest and regular networks?

I am also using a DNS server from StreamVia in the UK
Incidentally:
port triggering - disabled
port forwarding - off

Thanks for any help,
Tom

Hi Guys,
I have a mesh network using an RT-AC5300 and two RT-3100 routers with asuswrt-merlin 386.11.

Yesterday, I added a shelly plus 1 to my network. Getting it connected to my wifi was easy and at first I thought everything was fine as I could look at the device using my browser. Then it became apparent that although I could look at the device, it was not connecting to the internet. For instance, it could not connect to shelly's cloud or get new firmware update. Similarly, I could not connect to it from shelly's cloud apps.

After much messing around, I connected the shelly, using my guest wifi (access intranet is disabled,) and my shelly is now functioning flawlessly. However,my goal is to connect it to Apple HomeKit which runs on my regular wifi with all my other devices, SO I need it to be on my regular network.

Does anybody have any thought or pointers to where I should start looking to figure what's different between my guest and regular networks?

I am also using a DNS server from StreamVia in the UK
Incidentally:
port triggering - disabled
port forwarding - off

Thanks for any help,
Tom
Hi maybe try this .. i Have AX88U + 3x mesh AX53u working everything (30 Shelly devices) try disable almost everything .. IoT need "stupid" WiFi with low security wpa/wpa2 and no extra functions ..

Thanks for this.
Tried digging through all of my settings and turning off stuff ... no difference so far.
Maybe factory reset on Shelly and custom dns 8.8.8.8 etc. .. for beter stability try static IP in Shelly settings And reserve this IP in dhcp.. And try disable Shelly cloud for test And enable debug log

Maybe factory reset on Shelly and custom dns 8.8.8.8 etc. .. for beter stability try static IP in Shelly settings And reserve this IP in dhcp.. And try disable Shelly cloud for test And enable debug log
Hi,
Good news. Setting the DNS and fixed IP seems to have done the trick for me.

The shelly is behaving as I would expect and reliably. I've refreshed it with HomeKit and added to HomeKit. All seems to be good.

In my experiments from the over the past few days, I did try fixing the IP but only from my router. It didn't seem to have any effect. I think that changing the DNS setting did the trick.

In anycase thank-you to everyone who helped out and a definite thank-you to Difides for the solution.

Now I can start playing with shelly.

I have the opposite problem. On the guest network, which I set up as 2.4Ghz only for IoT devices, (mainly Shelly but also some Tapo plugs) it keeps dropping my IoT Shelly Device and I keep seeing “802.11 associated” followed by “802.11 disassociated” over and over In the logs.

Have set Static IPs on the device and DHCP reserved, Eco mode off and a Gateway and DNS defined. I have the older Shelly 1PM devices, not the Plus. No tweaks (you cannot tweak the guest network independently anyway).

As soon as I put it on the main network the issue stopped. All my Tapo plugs are just fine on this Guest 2 Network however, even down to -85dBm.

I can live with it on he main network, but gee it would be nice for them all to be on that Guest Network 2.

Any ideas for what to try apart from a Shelly Plus 1PM (Gen 2) device? There is a beta FW shown but I am loathe to try it remotely.

Last edited:
I have the opposite problem. On the guest network, which I set up as 2.4Ghz only for IoT devices, (mainly Shelly but also some Tapo plugs) I keep getting “802.11 associated” followed by “802.11 disassociated” over and over.

Have set Static IPs on the device and DHCP reserved, Eco mode off and a Gateway and DNS defined. Shelly 1PM devices, not Plus. No tweaks (you cannot tweak the guest network independently anyway).

As soon as I put it on the main network the issue stopped. All my Tapo plugs are just fine on this Guest 2 Network however, even down to -85dBm.

I can live with it but gee it would be nice for them all to be on that Guest Network 2.

Any ideas for what to try apart from a Shelly Plus 1PM (Gen 2) device? There is a beta FW shown but I am loathe to try it remotely.
I have the opposite problem. On the guest network, which I set up as 2.4Ghz only for IoT devices, (mainly Shelly but also some Tapo plugs) I keep getting “802.11 associated” followed by “802.11 disassociated” over and over.

Have set Static IPs on the device and DHCP reserved, Eco mode off and a Gateway and DNS defined. Shelly 1PM devices, not Plus. No tweaks (you cannot tweak the guest network independently anyway).

I can live with it but gee it would be nice for them all to be on that Guest Network 2.

I personally use the 2.4ghz band only for IoT (for many years I haven't used a device that doesn't have 5G..), so I don't have a guest for this band .. :)

I personally use the 2.4ghz band only for IoT (for many years I haven't used a device that doesn't have 5G..), so I don't have a guest for this band .. :)

Well that's one solution I guess, but not an option for me. Too many 2.4GHz devices that use it (or might use it) on an ad-hoc basis.

I still struggle to seee why the Guest Network (Guest 2) struggles with the Shelly devices but the "main" network recognises them and keeps them connected without kicking them off.

I have not done any tweaking of the main (Smart Control) Network and obviously you cannot tweak the Guest one, apart from allowing it to extend to AIMESH and/or allowing Intranet Access. I allow Intranet Access on that 2.4 Guest 2 Network but it still kicks off the Shelly devices.

k.