What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ajsquirrel

New Around Here
Hello,

I was looking to buy either an ASUS RT-AX58U (AX3000) or the newer GS-AX3000. The GS version has the same hardware as the RT version, just with a different firmware build, which reviews say is more responsive and includes more features (cite: Dong Knows Tech).

However, I do not see support for the GS-AX3000 (or the GS-AX5400 for that matter). Does anyone know if there are plans to support this router in the future?

Thank you so much!

@ajsquirrel raises a good question. Asus has a ton of variants based on the same PCB using the BCM6750 chipset (1.5 GHz, 3 cores). Most all of them share the same FCC ID.

The ROG STRIX GS-AX3000 is the exact same hardware as the RT-AX58U and the RT-AX3000 which are both supported by @RMerlin. So it would seem to be an interesting question because at the moment the ROG STRIX GS-AX3000 is very inexpensive in a number of markets.

@AndreiV and @JWoo - Thanks for your replies. I see now that the FAQ mentions not asking about supported models, however given the hardware similarities I think it is still worth asking the experts here whether it can be assumed that this model will be supported.

And yes, the GS is very inexpensive for some reason. Currently it is ~40% off in the US ($128 USD). I can't figure out if it is just a good deal, or if there is some hidden reason it is selling so cheap... If I get it I'll just hope that Merlin supports it by the time I get bored of the stock firmware.

Thanks for your input

Asus is probably paying us to take away these routers with the distracting LED lights. :) I have posted for @GNUton to see if he could support it as a router addition given that it is also the same as:

RT-AX58U (supported by Merlin)
RT-AX3000 (supported by Merlin)
RT-AX82U (supported by Gnuton)
TUF-AX5400 (supported by Gnuton)
TUF-AX3000 (not yet supported)
GS-AX3000 (not yet supported)
GS-AX5400 (not yet supported)

Asus is definitely getting their money's worth from that design.

@ajsquirrel could you post a screenshot of the WAN settings on the GS-AX3000 as I am curious if Asus included DNS over TLS or not as Asus was going to add that last year as a stock feature.

Hello,

I was looking to buy either an ASUS RT-AX58U (AX3000) or the newer GS-AX3000. The GS version has the same hardware as the RT version, just with a different firmware build, which reviews say is more responsive and includes more features (cite: Dong Knows Tech).

However, I do not see support for the GS-AX3000 (or the GS-AX5400 for that matter). Does anyone know if there are plans to support this router in the future?

Thank you so much!
Yea usually most request now are done here.

As @RMerlin has a full house on his plate of what he supports already. @GNUton has been very generous to support other models granted you are able to provide a link to a "current" gpl, but I am sure at some point even @GNUton plate will fill.

Yea usually most request now are done here.

As @RMerlin has a full house on his plate of what he supports already. @GNUton has been very generous to support other models granted you are able to provide a link to a "current" gpl, but I am sure at some point even @GNUton plate will fill.
I posted on the github https://github.com/gnuton/asuswrt-merlin.ng/issues/140 earlier today. That is done

@ajsquirrel could you post a screenshot of the WAN settings on the GS-AX3000 as I am curious if Asus included DNS over TLS or not as Asus was going to add that last year as a stock feature.
Hi again,

Thanks for your help and for posting on the GitHub. Hopefully it will not be difficult to add support!

I just received the GS-AX3000 today, but I unfortunately will not be able to set it up to use until later this month. I will post a screenshot of the WAN settings when I can!

p.s. I agree the RGB is pretty ridiculous and distracting on a router, and I much prefer the design of the RT models I couldn't pass up the current deals on the GS!

You don't need to post. It was too cheap for me to avert the temptation of LEDs. I got mine today and have it running. The build quality of the router seems very good.

Hopeful the GS-AX3000 will be supported by Merlin or Gnuton in our future. Looks like there are actually 7 variants from a build perspective. Asus definitely maximizing the potential of this platform!

case MODEL_RTAX58U:
if(!strcmp(build_name, "RT-AX58U"))
return model + CFID_BASE_2 + 1 + 30*2;
if(!strcmp(build_name, "TUF-AX3000"))
return model + CFID_BASE_2 + 2 + 30*2;
if(!strcmp(build_name, "TUF-AX5400"))
return model + CFID_BASE_2 + 3 + 30*2;
if(!strcmp(build_name, "RT-AX82U"))
return model + CFID_BASE_2 + 4 + 30*2;
if(!strcmp(build_name, "RT-AX82_XD6"))
return model + CFID_BASE_2 + 5 + 30*2;
if(!strcmp(build_name, "GS-AX3000"))