What's new

Does RT-AX86U Pro Support Jumbo Frames?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HarryMuscle

I was just comparing some settings between my RT-AX86U running 386.7.2 and a RT-AX86U Pro running 388.4 and I noticed that the RT-AX86U Pro doesn't have an option to enable Jumbo Frames in the GUI under LAN -> Switch Control. Is this something that was removed in general in the 388 version of the firmware or is this simply because the RT-AX86U Pro doesn't actually support jumbo frames?

Thanks,
Harry

Probably another bug in the latest stock firmware. You’ll notice that there’s also no option to toggle “AC/AX Beamforming” on/off under the 5GHz network…that’s also a bug. I hope Asus gets their crap together and releases better firmware soon.

You really do not want to use jumbo frames. It is OK for the local LAN but packets/frames going to the internet will get fragmented by the router thus putting more load on the router. If anything it is better to use smaller frames. Some will not agree but this has been a fact of the internet for a long time.

Probably another bug in the latest stock firmware. You’ll notice that there’s also no option to toggle “AC/AX Beamforming” on/off under the 5GHz network…that’s also a bug. I hope Asus gets their crap together and releases better firmware soon.
In any version of AX88U Pro there is no way to enable or disable Jumbo Frames.

So, does anybody know what to do to support MTU/MRU 1500 with PPPoE on these devices? RT-AX86U does have the "jumbo frame" option but it doesn't change its behavior to limit it to 1492. Changing the MTU on ETH0 to 1508 manually with ifconfig doesn't work, you'd get an error back. Are there some hints with other commands, or simply "no way"? I found some other posts from the past (telling it doesn't work with older models) but maybe there is something new in the newer models and firmware.

So, does anybody know what to do to support MTU/MRU 1500 with PPPoE on these devices? RT-AX86U does have the "jumbo frame" option but it doesn't change its behavior to limit it to 1492. Changing the MTU on ETH0 to 1508 manually with ifconfig doesn't work, you'd get an error back. Are there some hints with other commands, or simply "no way"? I found some other posts from the past (telling it doesn't work with older models) but maybe there is something new in the newer models and firmware.
Does your ISP support Jumbo frames? If so, what size?

@chris.at Your question is really nothing to do with this thread so it might better to start a separate thread. It might vary by router model but when this question was asked recently the answer was that the firmware simply doesn't support larger PPPoE MTUs.

Reactions: ika
Sure, PPPoE with 1500 (RFC4638)
@chris.at Your question is really nothing to do with this thread so it might better to start a separate thread. It might vary by router model but when this question was asked recently the answer was that the firmware simply doesn't support larger PPPoE MTU
No problems...it's all good. Party on!

I am also interested in jumbo frames but only for local network, 4 port + 1 port 2.5gbe switch that is intergrated into CPU itself.
Does it support jumbo frames on switch ?, not the wan port.

I am also interested in jumbo frames but only for local network, 4 port + 1 port 2.5gbe switch that is intergrated into CPU itself.
Does it support jumbo frames on switch ?, not the wan port.
Test it for yourself to find out. There may be differences between different hardware revisions of the same model, so what works for one person might not work for another.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!