What's new

Temporary router - D-Link DWR-953 or Draytek Vigor 2762n?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mpuk7

Regular Contributor
Hi all,

Follow on from another recent thread where I intend to find a good value replacement for my failed Asus router, I have borrowed two routers from work for now as per title to tide me over but can't decide which to use.

I have 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wifi devices and a number of wired devices via 2 Gigabit switches, mid terraced house, furthest devices would probably be about 8 metres roughly from the router (including 1 repeater)
Roughly around 30 devices in total.
Using a 5GHz SSID (WPA2), a 2.4GHz SSID (Mac filtering) and another 2.4GHz SSID (WPA2) as a guest network.

This is just to keep me going for a little bit until I can find a good deal on a full time replacement. I've read some reviews and can't see a huge deal of difference, I would lose one of the 4 ports with my Virginmedia Hub 3 on the Draytek but no real issue as can use an available port on my switch for one of the 4 devices.

Just hoping to get a bit of feedback on those two models if possible.

Does it really matter?

Use one or both and plan on your replacement sooner than later.

It's better than relying on the ISP provided equipment.

Sounds fair. I didn't know if one might be a renowned lemon with loads of issues so thought best to post out and see if anyone knows any major failings as may be a month or something and need it to be fairly reliable to work from home too. The wifi seems much the same on both I think.

The Vigor 2762n appears to be a single band n-only device. If that's true and the DWR-953 is dual band ac use that.

Absolutely not, it's 1234567812345678

12345678 was too guessable

Anyway, returning to my other thread...

Forgot to say the other brand I had personal good experience with was Linksys. I have an old Linksys hooked up to my 16+ year old webcam as a wireless bridge on a timer plug. It has been flawless for many many years on DD-WRT. I think that's my main complication and reason for not using security on the 2.4GHz as can't get to the Linksys easily if it goes pear shaped.

It has been flawless for many many years on DD-WRT

That old Linksys on DD-WRT is likely your best option for the edge device handling the routing from a security perspective - get it current there... it won't be fast perhaps, but it will be secure.

The DLink, well, they're well known for security issues...

The Draytek is a VDSL/ADSL CPE device, so depends on whether or not you can configure it be an AP only device or not...